Delete Windows partition from an SSD?

MonkeyFG

Reputable
Dec 22, 2015
I'm planning on getting a new motherboard/CPU and at the same time getting an SSD for my OS. I'm wondering if it is possible to keep all my games/misc. data on the HDD but removing the Windows from it. I still have my Windows 8.1 disc and key in hand so that won't be an issue.

If there is a way of keep my HDD's data and getting it onto my new setup, please let me know!

Solution
Yes. You can create another partition on your HDD. Move anything there you want to keep there. Note, you can't keep applications. You can move the entire directory of steam to keep your games intact to the other partition. This may not work for all other games.
Then delete the old OS partition using your window 8.1 disc. There is an option to delete a partition on the screen where you are asked to choose where to install the os. After you installed your OS onto the SSD, you may need to go into Disk Management and make a new partition on the HDD to use any unallocated space.
Yes. You can create another partition on your HDD. Move anything there you want to keep there. Note, you can't keep applications. You can move the entire directory of steam to keep your games intact to the other partition. This may not work for all other games.
Then delete the old OS partition using your window 8.1 disc. There is an option to delete a partition on the screen where you are asked to choose where to install the os. After you installed your OS onto the SSD, you may need to go into Disk Management and make a new partition on the HDD to use any unallocated space.

Solution