Deleted All USB Drivers in DM (XP SP3; Desktop PC)

JMille

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015
XP SP3: I deleted all the USB drivers in Device Manager until I had no KB or mouse! (I was following directions but I own the problem.) No PS2 ports; serial devices not recognized. Optical drives are first boot device but multiple XP SP3 won't boot. I can get to Setup/Bios, Safe Mode and into XP but, ... No input devices in any. I pulled the HDD and can place it in a working XP SP3; is it as simple as repopulating a directory? I've been trying to find a way to resolve for weeks; I'm about to give up. THANK YOU for even considering helping! J

Solution
In your working system of XP, go into c:\windows and copy the folder driver cache and paste into the other hard disk in the same place. Then go into c:\windows\system32 and do the same with the folders drivers and DRVSTORE.

Pop the hard disk into the other machine and see if that helped.
In your working system of XP, go into c:\windows and copy the folder driver cache and paste into the other hard disk in the same place. Then go into c:\windows\system32 and do the same with the folders drivers and DRVSTORE.

Pop the hard disk into the other machine and see if that helped.

Solution

JMille

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015
(I don't know how to respond, ...) Thanks, I'll give it a try later and let you know. It would be nice to get a few last things off the HDD that need the SW running to accomplish. Thanks regardless! J