Deleted D Drive and Restored Computer

Jun 17, 2018
So I just got an Inspiron 5680 a few days ago and realized that the default C Drive only had 105GB of storage and the D Drive had 1.81 TB of storage but none was being used. All the program files were in C Drive. First I tried moving the program files to D Drive from C Drive and some moved but then it froze. I tried to move the ones I’d moved back and it didn’t work. I read that I could deleted D Drive and then extend the C Drive with the storage. I deleted the D Drive and the C Drive extend option was greyed out so I couldn’t do that. I decided to factory reset my whole computer since I’d messed it up. When it started up again D Drive was still gone and so were some vital files on the computer (such as the Nvidia graphics and the ability to right click). I think some of the program files that I transferred to D Drive got deleted too. I really messed this up and idk if it’s even repairable at all. Could I have possibly deleted 1.81TB of storage along with hardware my computer really needs to function and if so what can I do to fix this (if anything)?
I’m really sorry if this is the stupidest thing you’ve ever read, but oh boy I messed up and am in a panic.

USAFRet

Titan
This was a used system you got?

For any used system, the very first thing you need to do is a full wipe and reinstall. Of everything.
What OS is it?

And you can't move the Program Files folder like that. As you've seen, bad things happen.
That folder needs to live on the C drive.

You've not "deleted" anything physical. Just screwed up the formatting or something.

Please show us a screencap of your current Disk Management window.

Yeah, this is pretty stupid. Don't go thinking you are some computer Wizard and move and delete essential files.

Thankfully, there is a whole internet full of computer Wizards that can hopefully help you.

You didn't break the drive (at least I don't think you did).

First, from your description, your computer has TWO different hard drives. The C drive is an SSD, and the D drive is a Mechanical HDD. Two different drives. SSDs are extremely fast, but low storage. HDDs are the opposite.

Windows OS is installed on the SSD to improve general performance. You want to install things like internet browsers, steam and SOME games on the SSD.

The HDD is for mass storage of LARGE games like GTA 5. Also for movies, videos, pictures.

Your SSD and HDD are TWO different hard drives. The essential files that are on the SSD C Drives are ESSENTIAL to that drive and should not be moved or deleted. You will HAVE TO SUFFER using two different drives. I repeat, they are two different drives.

To get your HDD back, access Disk Management. You should see some blocks. Locate the HDD, right click, create new volume. Follow that process and you should be good to go. Look here for a clearer description: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrIKbVYMg50

EDIT: You might just have to do a fresh install of windows. How did you "factory reset" your computer?

Jun 17, 2018

This was a totally new computer unfortunately >.< Here's a screengrab
https://imgur.com/a/MSOdze8

Jun 17, 2018
Okay we managed to get d drive back but is there any way to scan and see which essential program files were deleted? I know that Nvidia is gone but there are almost definitely other ones too

USAFRet

Titan

No, there is no scan for that.

What you can do is start from factory condition.

That 11.78GB partition on Disk 1 can be used to return the system to out of the box condition from Dell. Look in your user manual for how to invoke that.
Once that is done, it will be exactly how it was when you opened the box.

Later....don't move things around like that unless you actually know what you're doing.
That 12GB SSD is OK (not great), but it will work. OS and all/most of your applications on it.
The D drive can be used for things that take up a lot of space.
Doc/movies/music/games.

Read here for how to manage space between those two drives:
Win 7 & 8: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1834397/ssd-redirecting-static-files.html
Win 8.1 & 10: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2024314/windows-redirecting-folders-drives.html

For Steam games, you can have a folder on the D drive be the default install location:
Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png