Deleted PATH in Environment Variables by mistake.

I was adding a path to the environment variables today and accidentally
deleted the path line. Now I'm having some system problems. Does anyone know
how to fix? Is there an easy way to rewrite the Path line?

I'm running Windows XP and have zero knowledge of C Shell or executing shell
commands, BTW.

Thanks for the help,
Jeff

Providing Windows is on your C: drive, you should have these as a minimum...

C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem

1. Right-click My Computer and then click Properties.
2. Click the Advanced tab.
3. Click Environment variables.
4. Click one the following options, for either a user or a system variable:
• Click the PATH variable and then click Edit to change its value.
• Paste this in:

C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem

OK your way out.

HOW TO Manage Environment Variables in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310519

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:zcCdnYUJ95BFOFjfRVn-sg@teksavvy.com,
Bold Strike Media <jeffrey4chatATyahooDOTcom> hunted and pecked:
> I was adding a path to the environment variables today and accidentally
> deleted the path line. Now I'm having some system problems. Does anyone
> know how to fix? Is there an easy way to rewrite the Path line?
>
> I'm running Windows XP and have zero knowledge of C Shell or executing
> shell commands, BTW.
>
> Thanks for the help,
> Jeff

jeff

Hi Wes,

I've inserted that line as the Path, but still have programs that won't boot
and some that crash. Am I going to have to reinstall everything to get back
an efficient system?

Jeff

> Providing Windows is on your C: drive, you should have these as a
minimum...

> C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem
>
> 1. Right-click My Computer and then click Properties.
> 2. Click the Advanced tab.
> 3. Click Environment variables.
> 4. Click one the following options, for either a user or a system
variable:
> • Click the PATH variable and then click Edit to change its value.
> • Paste this in:
>
> C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem
>
> OK your way out.
>
> HOW TO Manage Environment Variables in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310519
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:zcCdnYUJ95BFOFjfRVn-sg@teksavvy.com,
> Bold Strike Media <jeffrey4chatATyahooDOTcom> hunted and pecked:
> > I was adding a path to the environment variables today and accidentally
> > deleted the path line. Now I'm having some system problems. Does anyone
> > know how to fix? Is there an easy way to rewrite the Path line?
> >
> > I'm running Windows XP and have zero knowledge of C Shell or executing
> > shell commands, BTW.
> >
> > Thanks for the help,
> > Jeff

Jeff,

What programs won't open?

What programs crash?

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:1redndczZoyPVVvfRVn-sA@teksavvy.com,
Jeff <jeffrey4chatATyahooDOTcom> hunted and pecked:
> Hi Wes,
>
> I've inserted that line as the Path, but still have programs that won't
> boot and some that crash. Am I going to have to reinstall everything to
> get back an efficient system?
>
> Jeff

>> Providing Windows is on your C: drive, you should have these as a
>> minimum...
>>
>> C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem
>>
>> 1. Right-click My Computer and then click Properties.
>> 2. Click the Advanced tab.
>> 3. Click Environment variables.
>> 4. Click one the following options, for either a user or a system
>> variable: • Click the PATH variable and then click Edit to change its
>> value. • Paste this in:
>>
>> C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem
>>
>> OK your way out.
>>
>> HOW TO Manage Environment Variables in Windows XP
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310519
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:zcCdnYUJ95BFOFjfRVn-sg@teksavvy.com,
>> Bold Strike Media <jeffrey4chatATyahooDOTcom> hunted and pecked:
>>> I was adding a path to the environment variables today and accidentally
>>> deleted the path line. Now I'm having some system problems. Does anyone
>>> know how to fix? Is there an easy way to rewrite the Path line?
>>>
>>> I'm running Windows XP and have zero knowledge of C Shell or executing
>>> shell commands, BTW.
>>>
>>> Thanks for the help,
>>> Jeff

jeff

A couple of programs that run in the background. I reinstalled them and they
seem to be doing fine, but how do I know for sure if something's not running
properly? There should be some kind of scanning software that would easily
search for Path inclusions and fix and problems.

Thanks for the help.

Jeff

> Jeff,
>
> What programs won't open?
>
> What programs crash?
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:1redndczZoyPVVvfRVn-sA@teksavvy.com,
> Jeff <jeffrey4chatATyahooDOTcom> hunted and pecked:
> > Hi Wes,
> >
> > I've inserted that line as the Path, but still have programs that won't
> > boot and some that crash. Am I going to have to reinstall everything to
> > get back an efficient system?
> >
> > Jeff
> >

> > "Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >> Providing Windows is on your C: drive, you should have these as a
> >> minimum...
> >>
> >> C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem
> >>
> >> 1. Right-click My Computer and then click Properties.
> >> 2. Click the Advanced tab.
> >> 3. Click Environment variables.
> >> 4. Click one the following options, for either a user or a system
> >> variable: • Click the PATH variable and then click Edit to change its
> >> value. • Paste this in:
> >>
> >> C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem
> >>
> >> OK your way out.
> >>
> >> HOW TO Manage Environment Variables in Windows XP
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310519
> >>
> >> --
> >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> >>
> >> Wes
> >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> >>
> >> In news:zcCdnYUJ95BFOFjfRVn-sg@teksavvy.com,
> >> Bold Strike Media <jeffrey4chatATyahooDOTcom> hunted and pecked:

Usually, not always, if something isn't running correctly that something
will let you know.

If an application needs to add to the Path variable that is done at the time
of installation of that application.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:E7adnTtOO-AzrlrfRVn-tA@teksavvy.com,
Jeff <jeffrey4chatATyahooDOTcom> hunted and pecked:
> A couple of programs that run in the background. I reinstalled them and
> they seem to be doing fine, but how do I know for sure if something's not
> running properly? There should be some kind of scanning software that
> would easily search for Path inclusions and fix and problems.
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> Jeff

>> Jeff,
>>
>> What programs won't open?
>>
>> What programs crash?
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:1redndczZoyPVVvfRVn-sA@teksavvy.com,
>> Jeff <jeffrey4chatATyahooDOTcom> hunted and pecked:
>>> Hi Wes,
>>>
>>> I've inserted that line as the Path, but still have programs that won't
>>> boot and some that crash. Am I going to have to reinstall everything to
>>> get back an efficient system?
>>>
>>> Jeff

jeff

Inserting the following seemed to do the trick:

C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem

A couple of other programs needed to be re-added and they work now as well.
It wasn't what I would call an 'easy fix', however.

Thanks for the help.
Jeff

> Usually, not always, if something isn't running correctly that something
> will let you know.
>
> If an application needs to add to the Path variable that is done at the
time
> of installation of that application.
>

> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:E7adnTtOO-AzrlrfRVn-tA@teksavvy.com,
> Jeff <jeffrey4chatATyahooDOTcom> hunted and pecked:
> > A couple of programs that run in the background. I reinstalled them and
> > they seem to be doing fine, but how do I know for sure if something's
not
> > running properly? There should be some kind of scanning software that
> > would easily search for Path inclusions and fix and problems.
> >
> > Thanks for the help.
> >
> > Jeff
> >

> > "Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >> Jeff,
> >>
> >> What programs won't open?
> >>
> >> What programs crash?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> >>
> >> Wes
> >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> >>
> >> In news:1redndczZoyPVVvfRVn-sA@teksavvy.com,
> >> Jeff <jeffrey4chatATyahooDOTcom> hunted and pecked:

declanpitts

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011

Hi, I also delete my Path Environment Variable, i run windows 7 ultimate and i have an alienware desktop computer! I Ned my path back! I remeber the path had something saying java in it? Not sure, but i need it!