Deleted registry with AdAware 6.0 DOH!!

Okay, I have no icons that match what they are supposed to do.
You click on an .exe file, and it pulls up a box which says cannot
find program, please select from a list. So, I click on an .mp3 to
open Itunes..and then itunes opens, but it won’t open any other way.
exe files that I download to update stuff don’t run.

I used AdAware 6.0 to remove popups, etc and it said something
about /HKEY/***** information and deleted it all.

Ever since then, nothing runs and nothing associates with itself for
programs. I did a system restore back to before when I had this
problem, but it did not fix itself. I did system restore with command
prompt in safe moad and then
%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe, and it went through all
the promts, however, when I rebooted, it loaded all bad and said it
couldn’t execute rstrui.exe in normal mode because there was no
program associated with it.

How do I get my icons to behave normally?!?!?!?!?

HELP! :(

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Deleted-registry-AdAware-DOH-ftopict552757.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1752796

Can't open EXE files
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555067&Product=winxp

Windows XP File Association Fixes

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Doug Knox]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"bradleyic" wrote:

| Okay, I have no icons that match what they are supposed to do.
| You click on an .exe file, and it pulls up a box which says cannot
| find program, please select from a list. So, I click on an .mp3 to
| open Itunes..and then itunes opens, but it won't open any other way.
| exe files that I download to update stuff don't run.
|
| I used AdAware 6.0 to remove popups, etc and it said something
| about /HKEY/***** information and deleted it all.
|
| Ever since then, nothing runs and nothing associates with itself for
| programs. I did a system restore back to before when I had this
| problem, but it did not fix itself. I did system restore with command
| prompt in safe moad and then
| %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe, and it went through all
| the promts, however, when I rebooted, it loaded all bad and said it
| couldn't execute rstrui.exe in normal mode because there was no
| program associated with it.
|
| How do I get my icons to behave normally?!?!?!?!?
|
| HELP! :(

Restore the .EXE file association:

Click Start, Run and type Command.com
Type "c:\windows\regedit.exe"

Fix the .exe association here:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe
Set the (default) to exefile

Goto:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command
Set the (default) to the following *exactly as given below*

"%1" %*

Close Regedit.exe

Related MSKBs:

You Are Unable to Start a Program with an .exe File Extension:

You Cannot Start Programs (.exe Files) When Your Computer Is Infected with
the SirCam Virus:

Cannot run EXE files [Programs don't open]:
http://windowsxp..mvps.org/exefile.htm

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

Windows XP Troubleshooting
http://www.winhelponline.com
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"" wrote:
> Can't open EXE files
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555067&Product=winxp
>
> Windows XP File Association Fixes
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
>
> [Courtesy of MS-MVP Doug Knox]
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups
>
> Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security
> Technologies:

> -----------------------------
>
> "bradleyic" wrote:
>
> | Okay, I have no icons that match what they are supposed to
> do.
> | You click on an .exe file, and it pulls up a box which says
> cannot
> | find program, please select from a list. So, I click on an
> .mp3 to
> | open Itunes..and then itunes opens, but it won't open any
> other way.
> | exe files that I download to update stuff don't run.
> |
> | I used AdAware 6.0 to remove popups, etc and it said
> something
> | about /HKEY/***** information and deleted it all.
> |
> | Ever since then, nothing runs and nothing associates with
> itself for
> | programs. I did a system restore back to before when I had
> this
> | problem, but it did not fix itself. I did system restore
> with command
> | prompt in safe moad and then
> | %systemroot%system32restorerstrui.exe, and it went
> through all
> | the promts, however, when I rebooted, it loaded all bad and
> said it
> | couldn't execute rstrui.exe in normal mode because there was
> no
> | program associated with it.
> |
> | How do I get my icons to behave normally?!?!?!?!?
> |
> | HELP! :(

I tried that..and went to the MS site...
and did start, run and then command.com...

it said "windows cannot open this file"
It needs to know who created it.

so if I can’t even start with this...what now??

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Deleted-registry-AdAware-DOH-ftopict552757.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1754686

> "" wrote:
> > Can't open EXE files
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555067&Product=winxp
> >
> > Windows XP File Association Fixes
> > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
> >
> > [Courtesy of MS-MVP Doug Knox]
> >
> > --
> > Carey Frisch
> > Microsoft MVP
> > Windows XP - Shell/User
> > Microsoft Newsgroups
> >
> > Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security
> > Technologies:
> > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

> > -----------------------------
> >
> > "bradleyic" wrote:
> >
> > | Okay, I have no icons that match what they are supposed to
> > do.
> > | You click on an .exe file, and it pulls up a box which says
> > cannot
> > | find program, please select from a list. So, I click on an
> > .mp3 to
> > | open Itunes..and then itunes opens, but it won't open any
> > other way.
> > | exe files that I download to update stuff don't run.
> > |
> > | I used AdAware 6.0 to remove popups, etc and it said
> > something
> > | about /HKEY/***** information and deleted it all.
> > |
> > | Ever since then, nothing runs and nothing associates with
> > itself for
> > | programs. I did a system restore back to before when I had
> > this
> > | problem, but it did not fix itself. I did system restore
> > with command
> > | prompt in safe moad and then
> > | %systemroot%system32restorerstrui.exe, and it went
> > through all
> > | the promts, however, when I rebooted, it loaded all bad and
> > said it
> > | couldn't execute rstrui.exe in normal mode because there was
> > no
> > | program associated with it.
> > |
> > | How do I get my icons to behave normally?!?!?!?!?
> > |
> > | HELP! :(
>
> I tried that..and went to the MS site...
> and did start, run and then command.com...
>
> it said "windows cannot open this file"
> It needs to know who created it.
>
> so if I can’t even start with this...what now??

Try Start -> Run -> cmd

Or

Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt

Kerry

> request
> Topic URL:
> http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Deleted-registry-AdAware-DOH-ftopict552757.html

sammy

Have you tried restoring the deleted items from Adaware's quarantine ?
Mostly Adaware sends deleted items into its Quarantine in a zipped file so
what you can do is check it and restore the deleted items.

bradleyic <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> schreef in artikel