Question Deleted Word File using CTRL-Z and CTRL-Y Returned it Empty

orkie

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2010
So the right button of my laptop doesn't work and I use my touchscreen to right click. Anyway, I saved a word file then closed it. I needed to rename it so I right clicked it in the folder but accidentally clicked create shortcut instead of rename. Then I think I may have done the same but with cut. Then I tried to undo so I pressed CTRL-Z a few times. However, after I did that, only the shortcut was there but the original file was gone. So I tried to do CTRL-Y to redo the actions. It did but it returned the file as empty (0 bites and no recovery/previous versions).

I searched in the recycle bin but it's not there. Trying to open the word document from recent just opens the empty file as does opening the shortcut.

Tried using recovery software but technically the file is not gone, it's just empty now. It doesn't seem corrupt but I don't understand how I managed to empty it.

My only view is that I started this word document by creating a new word doc in the folder. Therefore by pressing CTRL-Z multiple times, it undid creating it. Then when I did CTRL-Y, it recreated it but didn't re-do the editing of the file.

Tried a few recovery software including Recuva but as the file is technically not gone, just empty, nothing relevant comes up.

I just feel so stupid as I was rushing and ended up wasting even more time.

Anyone got any suggestions? Thank you in advance

orkie

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2010
Seems like a common problem. I can't believe CTRL-Z can delete a file without any confirmation and CTRL-Y will only recover the empty file if that at all. I just recreated the problem in a few seconds.

1. Create new folder
  2. Create New Word document
  3. Edit word document, save and close
  4. With the folder open and selected, press CTRL-Z
  5. Word Document gets un-created
  6. Press CTRL-Y
  7. World Documents gets re-created but EMPTY
  8. Further CTRL-Y does nothing
  9. No restore possible

TRENDING THREADS