Deleting a folder

Zahid Shabir

Reputable
Apr 5, 2015
I wanted to clear up some space on my SSD and noticed the folder "windows.old" in drive C is taking up over 17GB worth of space I am sure this folder is not needed but want to confirm this as I want to delete the entire folder to free up some space

Solution
Leave it, Windows will automatically delete it when it's been there for 30 days.

If you want to remove it manually, run "Disk Cleanup" and select "Previous Windows Installations" in the cleanup list.

It's basically a "snapshot" of your old Windows data when you upgraded the OS, in case you want to revert to the previous version. I would play it safe and let Windows delete it automatically unless you desperately need the space right now.
Leave it, Windows will automatically delete it when it's been there for 30 days.

If you want to remove it manually, run "Disk Cleanup" and select "Previous Windows Installations" in the cleanup list.

It's basically a "snapshot" of your old Windows data when you upgraded the OS, in case you want to revert to the previous version. I would play it safe and let Windows delete it automatically unless you desperately need the space right now.

Solution

Not relevant to the question. The Windows.old folder isn't locked.
Read posts carefully before you post suggestions, as inappropriate responses, if acted upon, can leave the thread-starter with bigger problems.

Zahid Shabir

Reputable
Apr 5, 2015

I am sorry for being late but I know that windows.old only appears after reinstalling to a new version of windows but why do I have it and it has been there for a while it takes up a huge portion of my SSD and there is no option of previous version of windows in the cleanup though I do game around just over 1GB from doing the cleanup