Deleting and trashing posts

Sam Hobbs

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2015
I replied to an old thread because I considered the topic and my reply especially to be timely and relevant. My replies got deleted with the comment that I can create a new thread. The thing that is irritating is that what I wrote was trashed. I spent time writing it and it is gone. I can accept that new replies are not allowed for old threads; I just think it is rude to allow replies then trash them.

I think the real problem is that my comments were relevant but the moderator did not like it. My comment simply stated facts explaining the usefulness of external power supplies for PCs. The only subjective comment I made is that I think it is stupid to put a power supply at the top of tower cases, which make them top-heavy.

USAFRet

Titan
I replied to an old thread because I considered the topic and my reply especially to be timely and relevant. My replies got deleted with the comment that I can create a new thread. The thing that is irritating is that what I wrote was trashed. I spent time writing it and it is gone. I can accept that new replies are not allowed for old threads; I just think it is rude to allow replies then trash them.

I think the real problem is that my comments were relevant but the moderator did not like it. My comment simply stated facts explaining the usefulness of external power supplies for PCs. The only subjective comment I made is that I think it is stupid to put a power supply at the top of tower cases, which make them top-heavy.
Which thread, specifically?

The issue is, that you come across a 5 year old thread, and reply to it.
Old threads are not auto locked from people replying.

But the original participants are long gone.

And especially if it is : "I have the same problem, what did you do?"
No one will ever see your question, and you'd get much better info from starting a new thread on its own.

DSzymborski

Titan
I'm not the thread-closer, but I would have closed that thread too without even the slightest second thought. You weren't supplying some generalized, important info that someone searching on Google would find. In those cases, I'll usually leave it up.

Instead you started a line-by-line rebuttal to debate someone in a thread that nobody has posted in for five years. And as ludicrous as it is to start a debate with nobody, you did it in an ex post facto fashion, arguing about things that someone in 2014 wouldn't have known about. That that boosted1g, for not even considering the 1 TB m.2 drives that didn't exist in 2014!

There are a lot of people who need help and it's unfair for their threads to get bumped down for someone who wants to win an argument via a time machine and then bumped down again when that person complains their thread is closed.

Want to make a useful contribution? In the last month there are 23 pages of threads right now that have received no replies. If you have the knowledge and ability to do what the rest of us do here and help people who need help as best as we can on a volunteer basis, that's a far better use of your time.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/find-threads/unanswered?page=23

Sam Hobbs

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2015
Which thread, specifically?

The issue is, that you come across a 5 year old thread, and reply to it.
Old threads are not auto locked from people replying.

But the original participants are long gone.

And especially if it is : "I have the same problem, what did you do?"
No one will ever see your question, and you'd get much better info from starting a new thread on its own.
The relevant thread is Are external desktop PSUs a real thing? | Tom's Hardware Forum .

I agree that new questions should be new threads. I have participated in programming forums and I have often said that new questions should be new threads.

You weren't supplying some generalized, important info that someone searching on Google would find.
I don't understand. I came across the question by searching for answers and so will others in the future and when that happens my reply was useful.

Instead you started a line-by-line rebuttal to debate someone in a thread that nobody has posted in for five years.
My reply style was consistent with the other replies. My replies were to posts that debated the original question.

And as ludicrous as it is to start a debate with nobody, you did it in an ex post facto fashion, arguing about things that someone in 2014 wouldn't have known about. That that boosted1g, for not even considering the 1 TB m.2 drives that didn't exist in 2014!
Yes, they did not exist in 2014 but they do now.

There are a lot of people who need help and it's unfair for their threads to get bumped down for someone who wants to win an argument via a time machine and then bumped down again when that person complains their thread is closed.
I did not complain about the thread being closed. I stated explicitly that I can accept that new replies are not allowed for old threads. I was quite explicit about what I was complaining about.

My intent was not to win an argument. The other replies were factually inaccurate. I was merely stating relevant facts.

USAFRet

Titan
And what you specify has already been done. For 30 years.
GPU, storage, RAM...all contained on the motherboard? With a small external power brick?

It's called a laptop.
If you want to get fancy, a laptop with an external monitor/mouse/keyboard.

Sam Hobbs

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2015
And what you specify has already been done. For 30 years.
GPU, storage, RAM...all contained on the motherboard? With a small external power brick?

It's called a laptop.
If you want to get fancy, a laptop with an external monitor/mouse/keyboard.
Yes there is much more than what is in the other thread. The main differences between a laptop and a desktop are:
  • integrated/separate monitor (as you indicate)
  • small/large keyboard (as you indicate)
  • size of motherboard
  • fast processor (laptops are faster than the past but cannot support the fastest processors available)
  • advanced display adapter
And I am not sure but as far as I know it is still difficult for laptops to support Blu-Ray burners.

And something that is not new is PCs built into monitors. I have even seen PCs built into keyboards.

One of the issues I stated was that an external power supply does not need to have as many cables (from the power supply to the PC) as there are coming from the power supplies commonly in use. Anyone saying that does not know electronics.

USAFRet

Titan
And once you move into having all those interchangeable parts (GPU, optical drives, processors, multiple hard drives, motherboard slots for other things, etc)...then you're into a typical size ATX case with the ATX standard connection and dimensions.
And if you're there, a PSU size box is of no concern to fit in there.

For instance, my current system has 6x SATA drives and 1x drive in a PCIe spot.
It needs 6 power taps off the PSU.
With an external power brick, those would have to come off the motherboard somewhere.
Increasing cost for those who do not need all those power taps.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Liking the posts is irrelevant. What is relevant were responses to a nearly 5 year old topic. That was the only criteria for the action. I was the moderator who took the action.

Our typical protocol is to remove such necroposts and to close old threads. Please stick to more current topics. Thank you.

Sam Hobbs

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2015
Our typical protocol is to remove such necroposts and to close old threads. Please stick to more current topics. Thank you.
I am saying that the problem is that the thread was not closed until after I posted to it and what I wrote got trashed.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I am saying that the problem is that the thread was not closed until after I posted to it and what I wrote got trashed.
True. Your action brought attention to an old thread. There a millions of threads/posts. We don't actively close them as part of our moderator actions...except in cases like this.

BTW, I sent you the deleted post in the event you wanted to recycle the content.