[SOLVED] Deleting game files from WindowsApps folder

james3906

Reputable
May 22, 2017
Hi,
Looking for some advice on manually deleting game files from the WindowsApps folder. I need to do this because I tried to uninstall a game which did not work and now my computer thinks that it is uninstalled when it actually isn't.
I'm making a post here as I have read and heard about people having to reinstall Windows after messing up the folders permissions which I want to try and avoid.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

View: https://imgur.com/JtzPY10

Solution
You need to go into the security tab, like you are now, and click "change" next to owner. From there, input the name of your user account (assuming your account is the local administrator). If the account you're currently logged into isn't an admin account, it won't work for you.

Once in the change dialogue box, you can type the name of your account, click "check", and windows should correct it to the right format.

From there, you'll have to click apply, then OK, then close out of file explorer and reopen. Navigate back to WindowsApps and open the folder. You'll probably get a pop-up saying you can't access, but once you click the "continue" button it should let you in.

Edit: While in this folder, TRIPLE check that you're in the...
Nov 3, 2021
If you delete files from any "hidden" directory like something from WindowsApps etc. that's not tied to a specific funtion of Windows, you should be fine. For example, I recently uninstalled Solasta from my computer, but it's AppData entries were still on my device. I opened explorer, navigated to their location, and deleted them as I would any other file.

If you're worried, just double check that you're in the right directory before deleting anything. As mentioned before, so long as it isn't an OS file, you should be fine.

james3906

Reputable
May 22, 2017
If you delete files from any "hidden" directory like something from WindowsApps etc. that's not tied to a specific funtion of Windows, you should be fine. For example, I recently uninstalled Solasta from my computer, but it's AppData entries were still on my device. I opened explorer, navigated to their location, and deleted them as I would any other file.

If you're worried, just double check that you're in the right directory before deleting anything. As mentioned before, so long as it isn't an OS file, you should be fine.
Any idea on how to give myself the permission to enter the folder? Menu is confusing me.
View: https://imgur.com/LFvQR3x

Nov 3, 2021
You need to go into the security tab, like you are now, and click "change" next to owner. From there, input the name of your user account (assuming your account is the local administrator). If the account you're currently logged into isn't an admin account, it won't work for you.

Once in the change dialogue box, you can type the name of your account, click "check", and windows should correct it to the right format.

From there, you'll have to click apply, then OK, then close out of file explorer and reopen. Navigate back to WindowsApps and open the folder. You'll probably get a pop-up saying you can't access, but once you click the "continue" button it should let you in.

Edit: While in this folder, TRIPLE check that you're in the directory that's relevant to the game you're trying to remove.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS