[SOLVED] Deleting Old Windows 7 Files from SSD

Biggy Cent

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2014
I have an old 500gb SSD with Windows 7 on it. I recently purchased a bran new 1TB samsung SSD to install Windows 10 on. How can I erase just the Win 7 files to free up some space on that old SSD without having to completely wipe the whole drive? (I have files and programs installed on that SSD that I want to continue to use.)

Any pointers or programs that would allow me to do this with the least amount of headaches would be great.

Thanks!

Solution
Files access wont be a problem.
Programs could be. Generally if a program needed to be installed to windows then it will need to be reinstalled again. Applications that use a launcher app, such as Steam or Origin, generally only needs the launcher app installed again and then the Applications main folder on the old drive added to the launchers list of library locations. {ie - Steams defaults to C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\ }

popatim

Titan
Files access wont be a problem.
Programs could be. Generally if a program needed to be installed to windows then it will need to be reinstalled again. Applications that use a launcher app, such as Steam or Origin, generally only needs the launcher app installed again and then the Applications main folder on the old drive added to the launchers list of library locations. {ie - Steams defaults to C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\ }

Solution

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Once you erase the Win 7 install (even if this was possible), the installed applications would no longer work, with some exceptions as Popatim points out..

If it were me, I would clone the 500GB SSD to the new 1TB SSD. Then, I would upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10. This will retain your applications and files.

Afterward, you could erase the entire 500GB and use for storage, or move to another system.