Question Deleting the "Save" files increased the FPS ?

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020
I installed Battlefield 5, Battlefield 1 and COD WW2 on a core 2 duo system with a GT 710.
The games were really unplayable, and FPS didn't go above 20.

So I fully upgraded my system from a GT 710 and core 2 duo to Core i5 with GT 1030.

Save files were the same. I made a backup and copied them in documents folder when I reinstalled the windows.

Now, to the real part, Battlefield 1 just freezed on startup. It didn't even get to the menu. Reinstalling the game didn't help.
Battlefield 5 had a lot of stuttering and randomly crashed after 5 minutes of gameplay at lowest settings.
COD WW2 had somewhat similar performance to Battlefield 5.

Out of nowhere, I tried deleting the save files and IT WORKED!. Battlefield started up and gave me 60 FPS average on 1080p Low.

What can be the cause of this? Did the game think that I was still using a core 2 duo?

Was it because of the config files that are mostly situated in save files folder?

This might be helpful for people upgrading their systems with the same savefiles.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Disk drives: make, model, capacity, how full?

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that correspond with the times that the system froze.

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance; first while not playing the game(s) and then while playing the game(s). Use both tools but only use one at a time.

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Disk drives: make, model, capacity, how full?

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that correspond with the times that the system froze.

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance; first while not playing the game(s) and then while playing the game(s). Use both tools but only use one at a time.
It fixed after I deleted the save files so I'm sure it wasn't a hardware issue.

Current Specs:
Core i5 3470
GT 1030
12 GB RAM Hynix 4 GB and HyperXFury 8 GB both 1600 MHZ.
Zebronics H61
Cooler master MWE Bronze 80+ 450 watt, bought like 2 months ago.
The PSU might be low end, but it has protective circuitry and I am not using a HEAVY graphics card so its quite okay for me.

Now
The OLD specs, from which I made the save files at the first place.
Core 2 duo e4600
GT 710 DDR3
Intel DG31PR
TechCom 450 watt super low end PSU, might be the cheapest possible
4GB RAM.

I do not use the old system anymore.

Ralston18

Titan
May have well been some hardware configuration setting in the old "save" files.

Once the saved hardware configuration information ( new "save" files) matched the hardware changes all was well.

Very likely a restart was necessary to get all in "agreement" again.

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020
May have well been some hardware configuration setting in the old "save" files.

Once the saved hardware configuration information ( new "save" files) matched the hardware changes all was well.

Very likely a restart was necessary to get all in "agreement" again.
It was real fun playing Far Cry 3 with the GT 710 on low settings with 30 FPS. FPS in that game didn't stop me from having fun