Question Deleting Windows 10 Booting from External Hard Drive

SSF156

Reputable
Jun 12, 2014
I accidentally installed Windows 10 boot disk to an external hard drive and it used most of it's space. How can I remove it to recoop the 1 TB capacity? I am unable to see it even with folders hidden. Thank you.

SSF156

Reputable
Jun 12, 2014
All you need to do is open the disk in disk manager, delete all the partitions, and create a new one. Or use diskpart utility and do a clean command on that external drive to wipe all partitions so you can create a new one.

It didn't work upon running disk management. It still says 30 GB when it's a 1 TB external

StrixedXRHM

Prominent
Mar 25, 2019
It didn't work upon running disk management. It still says 30 GB when it's a 1 TB external
You will more than likely have to use the diskpart utility CLI as @hang-the-9 suggested. In my experience when windows lock partitions on a drive and you need it back you have to use the CLI diskpart tool, windows installer partition select and create GUI tool or a bootable tool for hard drives. Here is a good guide https://www.windowscentral.com/how-clean-and-format-storage-drive-using-diskpart-windows-10 .
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make sure to backup and save any data on the external drive before following this guide as this method will wipe everything on that disk. After it is formatted you can easily restore the files back to the external drive.