delid, relid. intel i7-8700k, copper IHS

LTVETTE2

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
Hi Folks, I am in process of relliding my 8700k with a copper IHS. Since I have worked in construction, I have seen copper oxidize to a green. Not concerned about appearance, but am curious about inside of IHS oxidizing, and potential issues down the road? I highly doubt there is a coating on this IHS, and am guessing this is why Intel uses nickel plating on their copper IHS. Any suggestions as to, of if this and pose an issue? Perhaps do all of inside recessed area with film of liquid metal, but it could separate? I did use a good clear nail topcoat for protecting 4 inside contacts. Or just leave it alone since this will not be exposed to any oxygen/water to create oxidation. Trying to minimize issues prior to relidding. Thank you for reading, Larry T.

smashjohn

Reputable
Aug 14, 2017
It shouldn't affect performance at all and shouldn't oxidize except where exposed to air. In other words, it won't oxidize between points of contact, especially if you're using thermal paste (which you should be).

LTVETTE2

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
I will be using liquid metal inside, thermal paste on top to Dark rock pro 3 cooler. I will only be putting four dots of sealant on IHS corners. I think once pushed down with motherboard clamp, air won't infiltrate inside IHS. Even when I delidded 8700, there was a small spot where no sealant existed.