News Delidded Core i9-14900KS hits intense 409 watts, runs 10C — beheaded chip gets tested before March 14th launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Notton

Prominent
Dec 29, 2023
"Delidded Core i9-14900KS hits intense 409 watts, runs 10C — beheaded chip gets tested before March 14th launch"

That title makes it sound like it runs at 10C at 409 watts, which isn't what happened.

Reactions: artk2219

rluker5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014
That powerrrrrr... my pc at idle 30w (case) full gaming 283 watts with monitor and sound.
That cpu is good for winter or make tea.
Depending on the GPU a 14900ks system may also use 30w idle and the CPU will use far less power gaming than the running cinebench and y-cruncher that the power consumption numbers came from.

Also HT is off so that helps with temps significantly. Maybe even 10c.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
Idle power should be fine because it’s using the e-cores, and unlikely for all e-cores to be active. But I see no reason for this chip even for an enthusiast. This chip is technically no different from a 13900KS to begin with, and without delidding, it is impossible to maintain those clock speed, be it single or multi-core load. Just shows that Intel is trying too hard to maintain their performance lead when it’s drawing as much power as a RTX 4090 that includes other components like power hungry GDDR6X VRAM, board and components on the card.

Reactions: artk2219
Idle power should be fine because it’s using the e-cores, and unlikely for all e-cores to be active. But I see no reason for this chip even for an enthusiast. This chip is technically no different from a 13900KS to begin with, and without delidding, it is impossible to maintain those clock speed, be it single or multi-core load. Just shows that Intel is trying too hard to maintain their performance lead when it’s drawing as much power as a RTX 4090 that includes other components like power hungry GDDR6X VRAM, board and components on the card.
Well technically it will be clocked 200Mhz higher than the 13900ks at the same max 253W power draw, the 14900k already was at 407W under heavy "overclock" as well.
It won't be a 5.9Ghz all core CPU under heaviest loads like in this article.
Intel doesn't need this to maintain anything since AMD didn't come out with anything new...they just do it for the same reason that silicon lottery used to do it, it makes money because it sells.
Just because ryzen catches on fire if you try to go above stock clocks doesn't mean that nobody should go above stock clocks.
power-multithread.png

Argolith

BANNED
May 31, 2023
Well technically it will be clocked 200Mhz higher than the 13900ks at the same max 253W power draw, the 14900k already was at 407W under heavy "overclock" as well.
It won't be a 5.9Ghz all core CPU under heaviest loads like in this article.
Intel doesn't need this to maintain anything since AMD didn't come out with anything new...they just do it for the same reason that silicon lottery used to do it, it makes money because it sells.
Just because ryzen catches on fire if you try to go above stock clocks doesn't mean that nobody should go above stock clocks.
power-multithread.png
You could try to hide your bias at least a little, but I guess that's hard when you're shilling a heaping pile of crap that needs twice the power to still be behind a 7800X3D and costs stupid amounts of money for no reason other than "muh gigahertz moar higher".

Jul 7, 2022
I was about to say "wait, did Intel go back to paste again?!". Is liquid metal really that much more efficient then solder?
It’s more efficient in the sense that Liquid Metal can be spread incredibly thin so effective thermal energy transfer is higher according to the formula for thermal conductivity (W / (m*K)) where m = the thickness of the thermal interface.

Status
Not open for further replies.