Question Delidding the 8700K

Superlp12

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2013
Planning to delid my 8700k soon. What holds me back is almost all who did so used liquid metal when relidding. This part terrify me as potential of frying the cpu is high. How effective if I use thermal grizzly kryonaut instead of liquid metal when relidding? I am trying to bring the temperature to early 80c when i do a 5ghz oc.

Sadlah

Honorable
Jul 8, 2013
If you're are worried about frying it, you shouldn't do it. The main reason things go wrong with things like this is lack of confidence. Watch videos, know everything that can go wrong, learn how to work around it, learn best techniques and best equipment to use. Once you're ready, you know you're ready!

Superlp12

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2013
If you're are worried about frying it, you shouldn't do it. The main reason things go wrong with things like this is lack of confidence. Watch videos, know everything that can go wrong, learn how to work around it, learn best techniques and best equipment to use. Once you're ready, you know you're ready!
I am looking at ordering the rockit 88 delid kit from amazon and quite confident in the delidding and delidding procedure! Just that if the Kryonaut which I had I full 5 gram tube works well, that would remove a potential high risk factor!

Sadlah

Honorable
Jul 8, 2013
I am looking at ordering the rockit 88 delid kit from amazon and quite confident in the delidding and delidding procedure! Just that if the Kryonaut which I had I full 5 gram tube works well, that would remove a potential high risk factor!

You seem like you know what you're doing, You've done the right thing. I'm sure you'll ace the process! I've read that with Kryonaut you'll have reapply more often then the alternatives

CompuTronix

Intel Master
superlp12,

Due to a process known as "pumping" or "pump-out", which is caused by thermal cycling, typical silicon Thermal Interface Material (TIM) will ooze out from between the Die and the Integrated Heat Spreader (IHS) in a relatively brief period of time. The result is Core temperatures which will steadily increase, thus requiring you to periodically delid and re-TIM. Liquid metal doesn't suffer from pump out, which is why liquid metal is required for delidding.

Based on your concerns, lack of knowledge and experience, geofelt's suggestion is well founded. Just send in your CPU to Silicon Lottery. They're very reputable and do a great job with minimal turn around time. They're highly recommended.

CT 😎

Silicon lottery uses Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut liquid metal.
I presume they know what they are doing.

I see the kit on amazon.
When you also buy the Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut liquid metal and gasket, the total is $63.92.

FWIW, I bought a 8600K delidded from them and my temperatures are wonderful, even running @5.0.

Superlp12

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2013
You seem like you know what you're doing, You've done the right thing. I'm sure you'll ace the process! I've read that with Kryonaut you'll have reapply more often then the alternatives
If I can shaved 10c off with the Kryonaut,I will have achieved my target and will stop at that. Will post results when I get to do it(most likely in early April).

Superlp12

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2013
Silicon lottery uses Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut liquid metal.
I presume they know what they are doing.

I see the kit on amazon.
When you also buy the Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut liquid metal and gasket, the total is $63.92.

FWIW, I bought a 8600K delidded from them and my temperatures are wonderful, even running @5.0.
Sending my cpu to silicon lottery is out of the question as I am from Singapore. The shipping to and fro would mean without usage of my pc for a extended period. I need my pc for my daily use! I will be ordering the kit within the week and if I can have more information, it would help me to decide to order with the conductonaut.
Thanks forthe helpful response so far!

Superlp12

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2013
superlp12,

Due to a process known as "pumping" or "pump-out", which is caused by thermal cycling, typical silicon Thermal Interface Material (TIM) will ooze out from between the Die and the Integrated Heat Spreader (IHS) in a relatively brief period of time. The result is Core temperatures which will steadily increase, thus requiring you to periodically delid and re-TIM. Liquid metal doesn't suffer from pump out, which is why liquid metal is required for delidding.

Based on your concerns, lack of knowledge and experience, geofelt's suggestion is well founded. Just send in your CPU to Silicon Lottery. They're very reputable and do a great job with minimal turn around time. They're highly recommended.

CT 😎
Your comment on the behaviour of tim and lm is interesting, looks like I more like to get the conductonaut now!

CompuTronix

Intel Master
I've delidded a long list of "K" processors, (including the 8700K with Conductonaut), ever since Intel stopped using solder after 2nd Generation Sandy Bridge. You can expect your Core temperatures to decrease 18 to 20°C at 100% workload.

Click on the link in my signature, then go to Section 9 to read about Intel's TIM problem and delidding.

CT 😎

Superlp12

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2013
I've delidded a long list of "K" processors, (including the 8700K with Conductonaut), ever since Intel stopped using solder after 2nd Generation Sandy Bridge. You can expect your Core temperatures to decrease 18 to 20°C at 100% workload.

Click on the link in my signature, then go to Section 9 to read about Intel's TIM problem and delidding.

CT 😎
Thanks a lot. You have been very helpful!

Superlp12

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2013
I have decided to go with the conductonaut as advised. I have figure out what i think is a foolproof way of insulating the four pins to avoid shorting. I will use a blob of my kryonaut which is non conductive over the four pins so that when i relid it will effectively create a seal. In that way, there is zero chance the liquid metal can touch the pins. What do you guys think?

Superlp12

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2013
Done with my delidding. Doing some initial testing. I use a thin layer of conductonaut and opt not to reseal. When delid I notice my cpu was not so badly done by Intel and was not expecting a big temperature drop. Was happy that I was able to drop between 14c to 16c. Difference between hottest is 4c.

Last edited:

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Superlp12,

That's good news. However, those who choose to not reseal should be aware of a critical concern when reinstalling the CPU.

As the socket clamp moves with the latching lever, this tends to cause the IHS to slide in the mechanism's direction of travel. If the IHS slides even a fraction of a millimeter over the Die and substrate, it will "smear" the liquid metal between the Die and the IHS, which can compromise the effectiveness of an otherwise perfect delidding job. This will in turn result in Core temperatures that are a few degrees higher than what could be potentially achieved.

It is therefore absolutely critical that the IHS not be allowed to slide whatsoever when it's lowered onto the Die and substrate, as well as during CPU re-installation. Since IHS movement is very difficult to avoid during CPU re-installation, it is recommended that the IHS be at least partially resealed enough to ensure that it can't slide, thereby preventing the liquid metal from being smeared.

CT 😎

Superlp12

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2013
thanks for mentioning about possible smearing issue. I will probably redo the lm application when I had more time. I want to find out for myself if its is really necessary to apply to both the die and under the ihs. Currently I did not apply lm to the underside of the ihs. I also n notice rockit also sells a copper ihs. Was wondering if it will make any difference and was also concern if lm will fouled up copper.

Superlp12

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2013
I have apply conductonaut in between the cpu and my noctua d15 instead of the kryonaut. Achieved a further drop of 5c to 6c! I will stop at this and consider the project done. Thanks again for those that help. Cheers

Sep 5, 2019
Ive been tempted to delid my 8700K , but I dont think its the temperature that is my problem. I need 1.42 Volts for 5 GHz stable. temps 45C ish while multitasking and a video, and 65-70ish while gaming. This is strange because most people I know use MUCH lower voltages to reach 5.0, but there temperatures are high.

Ive been tempted to delid my 8700K , but I dont think its the temperature that is my problem. I need 1.42 Volts for 5 GHz stable. temps 45C ish while multitasking and a video, and 65-70ish while gaming. This is strange because most people I know use MUCH lower voltages to reach 5.0, but there temperatures are high.

I delidded my 8700K and settled at a 4.9GHz all core at 1.278v and my temps are very low. today in the UK I am hovering at 27 degrees C idle and I never go past 60 degrees C when testing with Prime95 and the like though Aida64 Extreme does push it to mid 60's degrees. 5GHz takes me to 1.327v which I just did not want for a 24/7 overclock but still not bad. I would play around with your vcore and LLC to see if you can get a lower vcore as it seems quite high.

Sep 5, 2019
I can only go to 1.38 or 9 Vcore at 4.9 Ghz, Ive tried LLC from 5 to 7. I can boot 5.0 at 1.4 or slightly lower, but then I get occasional BSD, often while doing a backup or loading large games. I should also say that ambient temps are 26. here in Houston , so my CPU is probably not ever going to be "27." Ive been running the CPU at 1.39-1.42 volts for a year. I rarely hear of someone regretting a successful delid, But Ive also heard that chips rarely just fail especially if they are not thermally throttling. I will be keeping this CPU for at least 2 more years before an upgrade. Maybe even 4-5 years. In 2020 most likely I will upgrade graphics. I have 16G of RAM going to 32 next week perhaps. Using the same RAM as you have.

My cooling is the Noctua D15S, case has decent ventilation also

Superlp12

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2013
After more than six months after my initial delid, I decided to check my temperature by running through the same series of benchmark and stress test. Same room temperature and same vcore. I actually achieve a drop of 2c ! Nice.