Delidding -- Why put heatspreader back on?

rdgoodri

Reputable
Dec 31, 2016
So if i'm delidding why even put the heatspreader back onto the CPU, why not just put your cooling solution (air or water cooler) directly onto the CPU?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Between the physical problems or the pretty bare/weak PCB, :coolers/sockets are designed for the IHS to be the contact point.... the die would be lower in the socket without the IHS wouldn't it? So physically, a cooler, mounted correctly, would probably bearlu make contact.

And, it's kind of in the name.... Heatspreader. It will (somewhat) "spread" the heat out from the die, across the much larger heatspreader & allow your cooler to evenly(ish) dissipate heat.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
It might *work*, but it's not going to make perfect contact .

Certain coolers with certain generations of chip worked somewhat ok IIRC, but it's far from perfect..... especially because you have limited pressure you can apply without risking the CPU/PCB.

I think a bracket exists to keep the die exposures, but provide some rigidity.

Yes, they do, but can only find for Skylake-X.
https://www.gamersnexus.net/news-pc/3210-skylake-x-direct-die-frame-bracket-der8auer

Because they're not soldered too begin with? It's silicone that keeps the IHS on the die.... and IIRC, it's heat resistant (or certainly rated for substantial temps). By the time you "melt" the silicone, you've likely damaged other parts of the CPU.

1. Because lots of very intelligent, very skilled people have been fiddling with the best way of doing this for the last 5-6 years at least (since ivybridge).

2. It's not soldered, and that's the point of delidding, the use of compound and not solder makes delidding beneficial. I suggest you research further what you are trying to do and why.

3. That's not how solder guns work, and that couldn't desolder a heatspreader if it was soldered on.