Question Delided 7700K Core 1 100C at 50% load?

Nov 22, 2019
I built this pc back in 2017 and delidedd it a year ago. Used LM and a Karken x62 as a cooler. Recently upgraded a monitor to 1440p and decided to keep my old 1080p as a second.

Now I decided to check my temps again and noticed that while playing games, Core 1 would be at 100C with 40-50% load while Core 0 would be around 80-90 as well. Cores 2 and 3 would be around 55-65 during games. I hadn't checked temps in a while before today but my general temps from the start of my delid to the last time i could remember was around 85C max and only when on cinabench. The games I'm running aren't that heavy either (R6, Dota 2, Destiny 2 were games i tested today to check temps.). I went into CAM and maxed everything but still made no difference. Even went as far as undervolting to 1.1 and got core 1 down to 97C. Decided to turn off turbo boost and that kept core 1 at 88 the most while losing around 20 fps in destiny. I don't know what could've caused this considering the only changes I made from the delid point to now was increased ram from 8-16 and updated the bios to allow compatibility with the RAM.

Specs:
I7-7700k
MSI Z270 Tomahawk
MSI RTX 2080 trio
16gb HyperX black 2666mhz
Samsung 970pro ssd
2x 1TB WD blue hdd
Silverstone RL05 Case
Kraken x62 AIO cooler

Note: yes the case doesn't technically support mounting the 280mm rad in the front, but i managed to make it stick by screwing just the corners of the rad to the case and having the fans in pull config. Total fans are 1 120mm noctua fan on the back and 2 140mm fans that came with the case on the top

Software used to detect temps are Hardware Monitor and CoreTemp

The only thing that I can think of is that the IHS isn't placed on flat. Maybe, possibly, there's more silicone adhesive between the IHS and the CPU substrate on one side, causing the IHS to slant and lose direct contact with the silicon.

Since there's 2 core really hot and 2 "normal", that's the only conclusion I can come to right now. My personal advice would be re-delid it and see if that helps.

You say you increased your ram from 8 to 16GB, are you running 2 or 4 sticks. If your running 4 sticks this will add more stress to the memory controller on the CPU which could be why your temps have gone up.

I only did my 8700k 4-5 months ago so i dont have any long term use on a Delid, but a quick google search shows a lot of people getting 2 years out of LM before needing a redo.

I would start by going back to 8GB of ram and see if that drops temps, next i would try re-pasting the x62 to the cpu, and if none of that works delid the cpu and redo the LM.

Nov 22, 2019
You say you increased your ram from 8 to 16GB, are you running 2 or 4 sticks. If your running 4 sticks this will add more stress to the memory controller on the CPU which could be why your temps have gone up.

I only did my 8700k 4-5 months ago so i dont have any long term use on a Delid, but a quick google search shows a lot of people getting 2 years out of LM before needing a redo.

I would start by going back to 8GB of ram and see if that drops temps, next i would try re-pasting the x62 to the cpu, and if none of that works delid the cpu and redo the LM.
Already reseated the x62. As for sticks, still using 2 8gb sticks

Nov 22, 2019
The only thing that I can think of is that the IHS isn't placed on flat. Maybe, possibly, there's more silicone adhesive between the IHS and the CPU substrate on one side, causing the IHS to slant and lose direct contact with the silicon.

Since there's 2 core really hot and 2 "normal", that's the only conclusion I can come to right now. My personal advice would be re-delid it and see if that helps.
Would that show over time? Cuzz temps were fine. I thonk the last time i checked was a few months ago since i have core temp launch on start