Question Delivery Man Threw My Brand New CPU Over My House's Gate... What Are The Odds It's Now Dead?

AtomikDjakareh_32G

Prominent
Aug 25, 2022
Apparently the guy was on a rush and just threw my new Core i3-10105F over my home's gate and electrical fence. The package landed a few feet from the gate inside the yard.
I oppened the box carefully and inspected everything inside, there is no visible external damage to the stock cooler or the CPU itself (no nicks, or any other external damage.

What are the odds this i3 suffered some internal damage and is now dead?

I won't be able to test it until later this week as I still don't have the LGA 1200 motherboard.

If you consider how your processor was treated from the manufacturing plant, transported via truck to a seaport, then shipped across the ocean, unloaded and staged, put back on a truck, sent to a retailers warehouse, processed, put back on a truck, and sent to you, that final 5 feet is not going to be what harms the processor.

If the box looks good, its all likely fine.

jasonf2

Distinguished
I know people that worked summers in shipping distribution centers for a major shipping company during college. Your package probably saw much worse on its way to your house. There is a reason that they put that chip in packaging that will survive being used as a football as it is being loaded into a truck. If the package isn't smashed or punctured you are ok.