Dell 2 in 1 problem. with SSD

Dude1986

Prominent
Jul 21, 2017
I have a Dell inspiron 2 in 1 laptop. I have just installed a ADATA 128GB SSD. When booting up my laptop, I does a memory test and then freezes. im lost on what to do. im not a techie by any means. but I did the upgrade because the computer was very slow at everything. I did upgrade the ram too. should I just change it back to HDD and keep the ram in there or undo the upgrade all together? any help would be greatly appreciated

Solution

Right.
As suspected, there is no place for another drive. It is stuck with that teeny 32GB eMMC space.

There is no option for an additional drive.
Send that Adata back for a refund.

Dude1986

Prominent
Jul 21, 2017

No I did not, how would I go about doing this?

USAFRet

Titan

Generally, you only change one thing at a time.
Take the SSD out, and put the old drive back in.
Does it boot with the new RAM?

USAFRet

Titan

OK...now you have to get the OS on the new SSD.
However...a 128GB SSD is almost certainly 'too small' if it is the only drive in the system.

What drive is in there now, and how full is it?

Dude1986

Prominent
Jul 21, 2017
Well when I click on system and then storage it says "25.9 GB used out of 28.5 GB. If that is what your asking. I bought this with only 32GB it's only a 2 in 1 laptop

USAFRet

Titan

oooo..a 32GB drive.
Is this by any chance an eMMC drive?
Can you link to the actual specs for this laptop?

USAFRet

Titan
And there is a mount for another drive? The old HDD changing to SSD? Interesting.

Unfortunately, I'm not 100% sure you can change the OS from the eMMC drive to the new SSD. And it might not be significantly faster.
An SSD is 'faster' than the eMMC, but maybe not noticeable in real world use.

It is a 'slow' laptop, primarily because of the low powered CPU. Which you cannot change.

Dude1986

Prominent
Jul 21, 2017

Interesting It was recommended to me to upgrade to the new ssd for performance reasons. The RAM was needed. I knew this laptop was slow was trying to upgrade since I kept getting warnings saying I needed updates but did not have the space

USAFRet

Titan

Right.
The semi-annual Windows updates are quite large...almost a self-contained full reinstall. As such, it needs a LOT of blank space.
Which these 32GB eMMC drives do not have.

I have an Asus Transformer of similar specs and same size drive. Same issue.
Really, the only way to run the large updates (for instance the Creators update from a couple of months ago), is to create a Win 10 USB install, and go through the basics of a full reinstall manually.
And you can cause it to keep all your data and applications, it just runs the Update from a USB stick instead of internally.

So...you can install that SSD, but it won't make any real performance gain. The OS is still on that little eMMC drive, and still with the oh-so-slow CPU. The extra RAM will help, though.

If you want, we can go through the steps to do all the current Win 10 updates on that thing.

USAFRet

Titan

What is the HDD being used for now?

A screencap of your Disk Management window would help here.

Dude1986

Prominent
Jul 21, 2017
The only thing I could fine(since it is being really slow right now) is I click on system then on disk management. then it shows.

BHT WR202G0032G E70290F5
or

Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU N3050 @ 1.60GHz

Don't know if that is what you need,

USAFRet

Titan
I meant like this window:
9V257QN.png

Dude1986

Prominent
Jul 21, 2017
It only had the 32GB drive in there. I bought a Kingston 8GB to upgrade the RAM. And the ADATA 128 GB SSD to upgrade. So what your telling me is that I cannot use the ADATA in the laptop? I wish I could use both in there but I don't they would fit together in there.

USAFRet

Titan

Right.
As suspected, there is no place for another drive. It is stuck with that teeny 32GB eMMC space.

There is no option for an additional drive.
Send that Adata back for a refund.

Solution