dell 4600 ram compatibility

cancerian107

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
As per the subject I have a dell 4600 and I have 2 1gb sticks of Sdram specifically (pc2 5400) from OC2. A friend of mine told me that Sdram probably wouldn't go in my computer after I had already ordered it of course so I pose the question before I even open the box, can I install this ram? :?: I would really appreciate help with this issue. Thanks.

cancerian107

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
well money is tight, and I'm trying to buy something that I can carry with me to a new computer once I finally have collected all the peices. I still need a hard drive, monitor, case/motherboard/cpu, dvd drive, and basic peripherals. I only have enough for ram right now. I'll get a refund on the ram, but are there any suggestions on the ram I should get?

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
Whatever you think is a good buy. It's been shown that the cheap value ram is actually pretty good, especially when measured by performance/price ratio. Any decent name brand ram that is pc3200 would be fine. Your 4600 can take advantage of dual-channel ram, so perhaps a set of 2x512 MB sticks of pc3200 DDR dual-channel ram would be best. Corsair makes good value ram, and I'm sure you can still buy a set of 2x512 for ~$75. May I ask why you need more ram?

I am a little confused at the moment. What are the specs of your current Dell Dimension 4600 (how much ram currently, what Intel cpu)? As far as the possibilty of re-using these parts in a future build, the 4600 will only allow you to re-use your ram if you go to socket 939 or 754 AMD, which are themselves becoming obsolete (everything is moving to DDR2). The only things that would be considered usable in a modern computer build in the future would be the hard drive and the optical drives, unfortunately.