Dell 4600 Ram pairs or not

carrie

Distinguished
May 4, 2004

I have a 4600.Memory is pc2700. I have 2 128 modules installed as it
origionally came with.I dropped a 2700 256 module in.It reads 512 as it
should. My question is being that memory is supposed to be installed in like
pairs will I experience a slowdown.I have no memory errors nor lockups but
seem to have to reboot more than I should have to.I have really no intensive
programs running. Should I go ahead and spring for another 256? It seems a
waste of a good module to let it sit in my drawer.A gig of ram is alot.Any
advice will be appreciated. Thanks, Peace Harry

when installed in like pairs, both sticks of memory are accessed
simultaneously providing a measurable performance improvement but not a
noticeable performance improvement except perhaps with memory intensive
programs that fully utilize your system memory (playing halo, manipulating
large photoshop images, etc). you should not suffer any other side effect
such as the slowdown an requiring to reboot. i suggest that you remove the
new memory to eliminate that as a source of the problem and identify what is
wrong with your computer. probably a software issue. once resolved then add
back the additional memory.

"Carrie" <carriegoodman1458@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
>I have a 4600.Memory is pc2700. I have 2 128 modules installed as it
> origionally came with.I dropped a 2700 256 module in.It reads 512 as it
> should. My question is being that memory is supposed to be installed in
> like
> pairs will I experience a slowdown.I have no memory errors nor lockups but
> seem to have to reboot more than I should have to.I have really no
> intensive
> programs running. Should I go ahead and spring for another 256? It seems a
> waste of a good module to let it sit in my drawer.A gig of ram is alot.Any
> advice will be appreciated. Thanks, Peace Harry

Carrie,
You should install two or pair of sticks of memory of the same size/type.
And preferably the same, if you can, the same manufacturer/model in your
Dimension 4600 when you upgrade.

Info from www.crucial.com

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?Mfr%2BProductline=Dell%2BDimension&mfr=Dell&cat=RAM&model=Dimension+4600&submit=Go

Important information about your system
Installed in pairs of modules. If your model uses the Pentium 4 with a
800MHz Front Side Bus (FSB) you must use the PC3200 parts. If your system
has the Pentium 4 with the 533MHz Front Side Bus (FSB) you can use either
the PC2700 or PC3200 parts.

--

Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>

when installed in like pairs, both sticks of memory are accessed
simultaneously providing a measurable performance improvement but not a
noticeable performance improvement except perhaps with memory intensive
programs that fully utilize your system memory (playing halo, manipulating
large photoshop images, etc). you should not suffer any other side effect
such as the slowdown an requiring to reboot. i suggest that you remove the
new memory to eliminate that as a source of the problem and identify what is
wrong with your computer. probably a software issue. once resolved then add
back the additional memory.

"Carrie" <carriegoodman1458@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
>I have a 4600.Memory is pc2700. I have 2 128 modules installed as it
> origionally came with.I dropped a 2700 256 module in.It reads 512 as it
> should. My question is being that memory is supposed to be installed in
> like
> pairs will I experience a slowdown.I have no memory errors nor lockups but
> seem to have to reboot more than I should have to.I have really no
> intensive
> programs running. Should I go ahead and spring for another 256? It seems a
> waste of a good module to let it sit in my drawer.A gig of ram is alot.Any
> advice will be appreciated. Thanks, Peace Harry

you should install in like pairs for the best possible performance, but the
dimension 4600 system is also perfectly capable of working with single
sticks.