Dell 4600 Says new hardware found ethernet controller

Pgraham

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012
Cant get my ethernet controller to work...reformatted from xp home to xp pro and still cant get the ethernet to connect...have been reading blogs all week.....have downloaded all drivers and installed them.....the only thing I see at the moment is I have noticed or read 2 different orders on installing....i started with chipsets and followed as a blog indicated and then I read another blog that had the order like it is on the dwll website...please help of there is any...oh yes the cpu says found new hardware amd its the ethernet controller bur I cant get anywhere witht that ethier ...Thanks in Advamcw

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100102185521AAt2TwL

You have to install the ethernet drivers on the system for the "found new hardware" installer to proceede with the installation. If your download is an .exe file you need to execute it, and follow the installation wizard steps to install it on the system. Next install the driver on the network adapter from the Device Manager\Network Adapters\Update driver\select "No, not this time" and click Next, "Install the software automatically (recommended)"\Next.

If the download is a zip or rar file, extract the included files and right click on the .ini file and select install... (you have installed it on the system), next install the driver on the network adapter from the Network adapters in the Device Manager as mentioned before.

If you still don't have a working Network Adapter, download the Slim Drivers application to auto-install it. Search for SlimDrivers Portable so you can delete the application after you're done.

Pgraham

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012
ok ill try that...but i think that's what i've already done. i downloaded network adapters it was a zip file i unzipped and followed all instructions....it was a Intel Pro 10/100 VE network adapter for dell 4600 and i installed the ethernet controller the same way ...if i missed a step along the way please tell me...the cpu worked fine before the reinstall and after the reinstall for some reason even after installing all said drivers it still will not connect and dell techs wanna charge me $250 dollars to get me back connected ...it has to be something important but small that i'm missing ...if it is or if there are other drivers that may be compatible please let me know what they are...when i go into device manager and do the update driver thing when it brings up the list of ethernet drivers everyone i click on brings a message that it cant download because dell hasn't tested to see if it wouldn't be compatible...and the on that i downloaded and installed can not be found on that list...Thanks in advance

These are step by step instructions to download and install the right Network Adapter driver for your Dell Dimension 4600 desktop:

Go to: http://support.dell.com/

Click on: Start Here > Drivers & Downloads > Find Drivers, BIOS and other updates

Choose from a list of all Dell products > Desktops > Dimension

Choose your Dell Dimension > Dimension 4600

Under Refine your results:

Select Operating System: Windows XP

Select Category: Network

Select Release Date: Older

Select Importance: Recommended

And download File => R67150.exe (1MB) 7.0.26.0 A06 12/8/2003 Applies to: 10/100 LOM

You may also want to download the "Intel-Diagnostics Utility R67344.exe (7MB) in case the R67150.exe driver doesn't install.

Double click on the downloaded file; R67150.exe, and follow the installation wizard steps to install it on the Operating System... Next you need to install the driver on the Network Adapter from the Device Manager\Network Adapters\Update driver\select "No, not this time" and click Next, "Install the software automatically (recommended)"\Next.... If you get the warning message that the driver may be incompatible, just ignore it and proceede to finish the installation.

That should correctly install the right driver... in the remote chance the installation should fail, you will have to install "SlimDrivers" so it finds and installs the right driver for you.

Pgraham

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012
Thanks for your reply...thats the file i downloaded R67150.exe an Intel...and i also tried a compatible one R64645.exe a broadcom....i installed the utility too R67344.exe...if there is anything else just let me know but i may have to try the slimdrivers

The only things to try are; use the SlimDrivers application and/or reset the default security permissions in case they have been changed and you don't have the necessary rights. Another possibility that comes to mind is if you have the computer set as part of a Domain instead of a Workgroup, you may not be able to install drivers.. but, you apparently installed other drivers without a problem? so that may not be the problem but it may be worth checking. (Control Panel\System\Computer name\Change). Still other possible causes may be malware infection or the network card may be in bad condition... if that's been excluded, try the card in a different PCI slot having previously uninstalled it from the Device Manager... this brings-up a question; Is the Network Card identified in the Device Manager, or does it appear grayed out, or with a yellow exclamation or question symbol?

Reset the Registry and the File Permissions in Windows XP
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/reset-the-registry-and-the-file-permissions-in-windows-xp/