Dell 4700 CPU Problem

windowshacker

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
I bought a used dell dimension 4700 i went to power it on the fan went super loud and shut off when i opened it i checked the processor and the pins were a little messed up did that cause the computer to shut off?

Here is a picture of it http://www.flickr.com/photos/78148415@N04/

Spiritos

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2013
It could be the contacts don't really connect that well due to the crooked pins. You're talking about your CPU fan?
You can gently try to allign the pins back to it's original position with some pliers.

Spiritos

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2013
One pin not connecting should still give some power-up. Did you try again?

Hmm.. I like some tweaking but when it comes to soldering it's above my head.
Assuming it is the problem do you have some sort of warranty?

windowshacker

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013

Im good at soldering but the computer is way out of warranty i had it for 9 years what if i want to get another motherboard will a asus motherboard fit into a dell 4700?

Spiritos

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2013
Well, I suppose it depends on the mobo and dimensions. You could look at the Dell site and check the forums to sese what options are offered. My guess is, a new mobo is basically a new system all together so if it fits, all you really reuse is the case...

d4700c.jpg

It seems that Dell used here mATX setup, at least MOBO screws seems to be in regular locations.

But getting new cheap case is always better, as you can get more ventilation, but this will constitute new build and much more money.

Spiritos

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2013

Well, as daunting as it may be I think you need to find the culprit.
I mean, are you sure it's the CPU? If you start up your PC and nothing happens it's the PSU, if you get error messages in your OS at least the GPU is working and you need to google it. So you need to describe what happens when you boot up.

windowshacker

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013

I'm sure it's the CPU because all the other components are working. When I power it on a yellow indicator turns on and the fan starts going high and no display on the monitor also the CPU socket is missing some pins and some are together and bent

Spiritos

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2013
Well, if you're cool with soldering you might be able to fix it (check youtube for eg how to) but this has the risk of damaging the CPU or mobo. And then even find out the CPU is broken all the same.

Given the fact your mobo/cpu is 9 years old I'm sure you can buy a new or used CPU for about 20 euros if you're lucky. I'd say 40 euros max!

TRENDING THREADS