dell 5100

drew

i just purchased a dell in jan.2004 its a 5100 laptop. loaded. now its
april 1st and i found out they discontinued it. replaced it
with 5150 laptop. read all your newsgroups messages and i feel i got
ripped off from dell.i have been with gateway for the last several years
and bought 3 computers. i thought dell for a lap top would be better
than gateway. now i'm wondering? i was never told that they were getting
rid of dell laptop 5100.

drew wrote:
> i just purchased a dell in jan.2004 its a 5100 laptop. loaded. now its
> april 1st and i found out they discontinued it. replaced it
> with 5150 laptop. read all your newsgroups messages and i feel i got
> ripped off from dell.i have been with gateway for the last several years
> and bought 3 computers. i thought dell for a lap top would be better
> than gateway. now i'm wondering? i was never told that they were getting
> rid of dell laptop 5100.

My Dell Inspiron 5100 was ordered and delivered at around the
same time. The 5150 was also available. I had a good reason to
choose the 5100 over the 5150. What was your's? And, BTW, I am
not disappointed at all; the 5100 did everything I had demanded
of it during a recent, extended trip.

I'm lost. Do you want them never to discontinue a model? Perhaps they'd
like to sell you a nice 486 machine.

The consumer (Dimension/Inspiron) lines change very fast, as the market
demands. Obviously you could buy a machine today and it could be
discontinued tomorrow. Doesn't make it a bad machine, does it?

If you want longer model lines, buy the business models (Optiplex/Latitude).
They change much less frequently so that businesses can maintain common
models. You give up, though, the latest and greatest in many areas.

If you buy a Ford on the day before the next years model launch, is that
Ford's fault?

Tom
"drew" <drew43@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> i just purchased a dell in jan.2004 its a 5100 laptop. loaded. now its
> april 1st and i found out they discontinued it. replaced it
> with 5150 laptop. read all your newsgroups messages and i feel i got
> ripped off from dell.i have been with gateway for the last several years
> and bought 3 computers. i thought dell for a lap top would be better
> than gateway. now i'm wondering? i was never told that they were getting
> rid of dell laptop 5100.

"drew" <drew43@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> i just purchased a dell in jan.2004 its a 5100 laptop. loaded. now its
> april 1st and i found out they discontinued it. replaced it
> with 5150 laptop. read all your newsgroups messages and i feel i got
> ripped off from dell.i have been with gateway for the last several years
> and bought 3 computers. i thought dell for a lap top would be better
> than gateway. now i'm wondering? i was never told that they were getting
> rid of dell laptop 5100.

Dell updates models on a regular basis.

I bought a Dimension 8200 a couple of years ago, it was the fastest computer
you could buy, for about three weeks, then came the 8250, shortly after that
the 8300. I bought an Inspiron 8500 last summer and shortly after that the
8600 became available. That's just the way with technology. "Bleeding edge"
doesn't last long.

Perhaps I'm not understanding your concern. That a new model came out does
not mean that the previous model has been abandoned. Support (a whole other
kettle of fish) is still available. Parts and upgrades are still available.
You're just not the fastest kid on the block anymore. :)

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :)

Remove shoes to E-mail.

i don't get what you are upset about. does gateway still make the computers
that you purchased from them?

drew wrote:
> i just purchased a dell in jan.2004 its a 5100 laptop. loaded. now
> its april 1st and i found out they discontinued it.
> replaced it
> with 5150 laptop. read all your newsgroups messages and i feel i got
> ripped off from dell.

I own a 5100 too, since jan 04. But what's the problem? You can't blame
Dell for new models...
Mine has a P4 2.8 GHz CPU, now Centrino's and mobile types are
delivered.

Maurits

On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 17:12:21 -0800, Ghostrider <-00-@fitron.142> wrote:

>drew wrote:
>> i just purchased a dell in jan.2004 its a 5100 laptop. loaded. now its
>> april 1st and i found out they discontinued it. replaced it
>> with 5150 laptop. read all your newsgroups messages and i feel i got
>> ripped off from dell.i have been with gateway for the last several years
>> and bought 3 computers. i thought dell for a lap top would be better
>> than gateway. now i'm wondering? i was never told that they were getting
>> rid of dell laptop 5100.
>>

>My Dell Inspiron 5100 was ordered and delivered at around the
>same time. The 5150 was also available. I had a good reason to
>choose the 5100 over the 5150. What was your's? And, BTW, I am
>not disappointed at all; the 5100 did everything I had demanded
>of it during a recent, extended trip.

I chose the 5150 over the 5100 mainly because the 5150 uses the
Intel Mobile P4 processor whereas the 5100 uses the regular
P4 Desktop. The 5150 runs cooler and has better battery life.
I really like mine!

Jack Mac

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Look at it this way. You got the latest and most stable of 5100 line
instead of the newer 5150 that is really buggy and unstable... ;-)

On Fri, 2 Apr 2004 09:42:28 -0500, "john" <johnt@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Look at it this way. You got the latest and most stable of 5100 line
>instead of the newer 5150 that is really buggy and unstable... ;-)

And just what are those bugs???? Also just what is unstable
about it?
Jack Mac