ry138

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
I'm looking to upgrade my cpu in my dell 530s. Currently it has:

E2160, 1.8, 1MB Pentium Conroe, M0
HD5570 Sapphire
2gb RAM
250W psu

What would be the best dual core or core 2 duo cpu I could get for under $100 dollars that would work with my PSU and LGA775?

Thanks for your Help!!!

I would look for a used cpu. Newegg doesn't carry any cpus that will work with your older board. IF you find a used q6600 for around $110 with heatsink, then that's what I would try with your board. If it doesn't work, you can easily get your money back on craigslist. Check anandtech's for sale forum or your local craigslist. I would also get another power supply anyway as soon as possible. I use an ocz 400w, and found it new on craigslist for only $35.

zergesys

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2010
I'm not sure you can really do anything with the way you have it set up. I'm actually surprised your system is working as it is, the 5570 needs a 400w supply. Mind you, if you're never stressing it, you can get by.

I'd really REALLY recommend upgrading the PSU to a good name-brand in the 400w range before you consider upgrading the CPU.

Anyways, with that system, there are quite a few different versions hanging around. Can you download CPU-Z, run it, and check the motherboard info? The CPU support will vary by motherboard.