Question Dell 531s case swap

PcGuy1050

Commendable
Sep 28, 2019
I have a dell inspiron 531s and i would like to switch the case for cooling and reasons like that. what size is the mobo it seems like micro atx but i don’t know

Last edited:

PcGuy1050

Commendable
Sep 28, 2019
Dang, is there any dell cases or cases that would work for the mobo that could work with a better cooling solution, or do i need to buy a new mobo?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Dang, is there any dell cases or cases that would work for the mobo that could work with a better cooling solution, or do i need to buy a new mobo?
I really don't know all the DEll case that your Inspiron 531s would fit into. Dell has a habit of making slight modifications from model to model. Is this an older PC? The slimline 531s seems to be from ~2009ish if I remember.

PcGuy1050

Commendable
Sep 28, 2019
I believe i got my inspiron waaaaay back in 2007 about when it came out. i plan on upgrading a bunch of parts like cpu to phenom ii x4 980be gpu to radeon r5 240 psu to a 420watt maybe mobo (if so then cpu will be ryzen 3 2200g and ram 8gb) and adding a 1tb hdd

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
In that case, save for awhile longer and pick up all modern parts for a budget build that can be upgraded as funds allow. Including a new case. With Ryzen, you can make a nice budget gamer for ~ $500. Less if you can get by with integrated graphics for awhile. If you want one of us to spec out a build for you, let us know.

PcGuy1050

Commendable
Sep 28, 2019
already had a build in mind lol
cpu ryzen 3 2200g (with cpu cooler)
gpu intergreated vega 8 (rx 550 later)
psu evga 500w
hdd wd blue 1TB
mobo msi b450 gaming plus
RAM 4x2 corsair vengeance 8gb
case rosewell atx (fans installed)
if you can spec it thanks! (btw is there a way to tell if these fit?)

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
already had a build in mind lol
cpu ryzen 3 2200g (with cpu cooler)
gpu intergreated vega 8 (rx 550 later)
psu evga 500w
hdd wd blue 1TB
mobo msi b450 gaming plus
RAM 4x2 corsair vengeance 8gb
case rosewell atx (fans installed)
if you can spec it thanks! (btw is there a way to tell if these fit?)
Yes, all those parts will work fine together. The RX 550 is about half again faster than the Vega 8 iGPU, so while it will be an improvement... you may want to save for a bit faster iGPU replacement. I'd jump to a RX 570 instead when the time comes. That should handle any game at 1080p with decent frame-rates.

8GB of system memory is a minimum today as long as you only have the game alone running. Keep in mind that the Vega 8 uses your system RAM too. And grab the fastest DDR4 you can afford. The Vega 8 needs fast system RAM since it has no VRAM of its own. 3000MHz Vengeance is good.

Btw, I just built someone almost that identical budget system recently.