Question Dell 5482 2in1 Laptop extremely slow, very high cpu frequency even at idle and mouse flickering.

Sam Chenkual

Reputable
Oct 28, 2016
Dell 5482 2in1 Laptop extremely slow, very high cpu frequency even at idle and mouse flickering.
I did a clean windows install but the issue is still occurring. The issue does not happen all the time. But when it happens the laptop heats up significantly causing the fans to spin loudly, the mouse flickers and the laptop slows down. Looking at cpu frequency i found it running at 3.7ghz while the laptop base frequency is only 2.1ghz. This all at idle and on clean windows installed.

ClapTrapper

Reputable
May 25, 2020
I have the Dell 5485 2in1 and the thing was almost unusable with Win10. You didn't mention the specs,but I bet you have 8 gigs of memory.
Bump it up to 16 gigs. For me,this was like getting a new laptop.
Then after that,make sure you are using a NVME SSD (with the OS on it)-if not,this will be another performance upgrade.
-Your real problem is Win10 (I'm assuming that is what you are running). Win10 is fat,stupid,and slow. But with 16 gigs it is usable.
I'm in the process of trying to get a Win10 update to install-it refuses. Win10 sucks.
You can do 100 tricks and debloat Win10-but just put in 16 gigs to start so your Dell will be useable.

Hope this helped.

Sam Chenkual

Reputable
Oct 28, 2016
But the thing is there were no visible usage of cpu by any applications, barely 2% by a few on idle but the cpu frequency goes up to 3ghz anyway. And ram usage was very normal. I think, suspecting now its more of a hardware issue with the cpu after browsing a few posts.