[SOLVED] Dell 5570 Power Limit due to Unknown Ac Adapter

Apr 13, 2022
I had this problem for a year now. My dell laptop only runs at 0.40ghz - 0.60ghz when running light games and 0.90ghz to 1.3ghz on idle. this problem started when my laptop fails to recognize my ac adapter but it still outputs the required watts/voltage which are 65w/19.4v the center pin is not damaged or bent also tried it on a similar laptop and it worked fine so I was assuming it was a faulty DC Jack or the Motherboard's Charging IC.

This model (Dell 5570) an i5 8th gen that has a 1.8ghz base clock and 3.4ghz when OCed.
I tried ThrottleStop by checking BDPROCHOT, checking Speed Shift with value of 80 or 0 setting TPL with 45/60 min max value it could generate higher mhz on idle 1400mhz++ but then again it only works on idle when I open some games the cpu would drop back to 0.40ghz to 0.60ghz. Most configs in FIVR are locked, I also noticed that my max PKG only has 4.3w compared to others that could go up to 30w or higher.

Replacing Intellppm start value to 4 on regedit makes it go back to normal though it always runs at 1.80ghz.

I'm new to ThrottleStop, does it has a capability of bypassing Dell's unkown ac adapter? if so can anyone help me how to configure ThrottleStop that could fix the PowerLimit problem?

Screenshots
https://prnt.sc/Yn3cICTaST_x

On Idle
https://prnt.sc/HbkbNFaLpFqo

While Playing
https://prnt.sc/ARKPqLuWXlBO

Solution
OEM dell charger
Some Dell chargers are finicky. They might be perfectly fine at powering your laptop but they also send a signal back to the motherboard which confirms that it is indeed a Dell OEM power adapter. This does not always work correctly so even though you are using a Dell OEM power adapter, your laptop might not agree and will decide to go into full throttling mode instead.

I believe the next problem your laptop has is completely separate from the power adapter problem.

5RoJVxc.png

Power consumption in your screenshot is only 3.0W. POWER confirms that power limit throttling is in progress. PL2 lighting up red in Limit Reasons under the CORE column also confirms PL2 power...
my laptop fails to recognize my ac adapter
Dell laptops will throttle significantly if you are not using a Dell branded power adapter. This is by design. Dell has not done any testing while using your generic power adapter so the safest thing for the computer to do is to throttle.

I tried ThrottleStop by checking BD PROCHOT
You are supposed to do the opposite. You need to clear the BD PROCHOT box on the main screen of ThrottleStop. That might help avoid some of the power adapter related throttling. Post screenshots of the ThrottleStop FIVR and TPL windows so I can see how you have those windows setup.

when running light games
Intel's low power U series CPUs were never intended to be used for smooth game play. They are designed to run fast for short bursts of time and then after that they are designed to power limit throttle. With some laptops you might be able to go beyond these limits but that can cause thermal throttling instead of power limit throttling.

Set intelppm back to its original value. My desktop computer has Start set to 3.

setting TPL with 45/60 min max
The 8250U has a 15W TDP rating. Most computers with these CPUs enforce that 15W limit. Using ThrottleStop to request three times that limit will likely be ignored. Post some ThrottleStop screenshots and I will try to help you out. Do not expect any miracles when using a Dell laptop with a U series CPU and a non-Dell power adapter.

Apr 13, 2022
Dell laptops will throttle significantly if you are not using a Dell branded power adapter. This is by design. Dell has not done any testing while using your generic power adapter so the safest thing for the computer to do is to throttle.

You are supposed to do the opposite. You need to clear the BD PROCHOT box on the main screen of ThrottleStop. That might help avoid some of the power adapter related throttling. Post screenshots of the ThrottleStop FIVR and TPL windows so I can see how you have those windows setup.

Intel's low power U series CPUs were never intended to be used for smooth game play. They are designed to run fast for short bursts of time and then after that they are designed to power limit throttle. With some laptops you might be able to go beyond these limits but that can cause thermal throttling instead of power limit throttling.

Set intelppm back to its original value. My desktop computer has Start set to 3.

The 8250U has a 15W TDP rating. Most computers with these CPUs enforce that 15W limit. Using ThrottleStop to request three times that limit will likely be ignored. Post some ThrottleStop screenshots and I will try to help you out. Do not expect any miracles when using a Dell laptop with a U series CPU and a non-Dell power adapter.

My OEM dell charger is working fine with another dell 5570 owned by my friend I also tried his charger and doesn't work on mine but works on him so I assumed it wasn't the charger but the DCjack/motherboard. Anyway this is the screenshot of FIVR and TPL most FIVR settings were locked probably due Dell disabling this on their Bios update.

https://prnt.sc/LTu8oEKVem_E

https://prnt.sc/QNttCPuVzmI8

https://prnt.sc/kZGbbrRGqgvk

OEM dell charger
Some Dell chargers are finicky. They might be perfectly fine at powering your laptop but they also send a signal back to the motherboard which confirms that it is indeed a Dell OEM power adapter. This does not always work correctly so even though you are using a Dell OEM power adapter, your laptop might not agree and will decide to go into full throttling mode instead.

I believe the next problem your laptop has is completely separate from the power adapter problem.

5RoJVxc.png

Power consumption in your screenshot is only 3.0W. POWER confirms that power limit throttling is in progress. PL2 lighting up red in Limit Reasons under the CORE column also confirms PL2 power limit throttling. Dell might not agree with third party monitoring tools like ThrottleStop but the reality is that two different registers in the CPU are both reporting the same power limit throttling issue.

There is a power limit that is managed by an Embedded Controller (EC). This is sending a 5 Watt or lower power limit to the CPU. There is no legitimate reason for this to be happening. Your 8250U has a 15W TDP rating.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...58250u-processor-6m-cache-up-to-3-40-ghz.html

The people that have contacted Dell have not got any reasonable explanation for this type of severe throttling. It can happen to Dell laptops with 15W U series CPUs like you have and it can happen to Dell laptops with 45W H series CPUs. Severe throttling is the result. ThrottleStop cannot be used to fix this problem. Intel's 8th Generation laptops are the first laptops that Dell changed to this new power limit throttling algorithm.

You can contact Dell but once a laptop is off warranty, it could be very expensive to try and get this problem fixed. I am not even sure if a brand new motherboard would fix this power limit throttling problem. This is a common issue with many, many different Dell laptops.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS