Dell 720 Color Printer

Does any one know whether I can use cartridges made for one of the major
printer names with this printer? Also, how good a printes is this? - BJ

made by lexmark and though almost identical to another printer that bears
the lexmark name, this model has a different shape on the top of the
cartridge than lexmark cartridges have. you only choice is to order
cartridges from dell or use refill kits for lexmark cartridges.

"Brian J" <bjenkins@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Does any one know whether I can use cartridges made for one of the major
> printer names with this printer? Also, how good a printes is this? - BJ

gb

> made by lexmark and though almost identical to another printer that bears
> the lexmark name, this model has a different shape on the top of the
> cartridge than lexmark cartridges have. you only choice is to order
> cartridges from dell or use refill kits for lexmark cartridges.

There's a tab in the lid of the cartridge holder that you can cut out so it
will take lexmark cartridges.

> "Brian J" <bjenkins@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Does any one know whether I can use cartridges made for one of the major
>> printer names with this printer? Also, how good a printes is this? - BJ

have you actually done this? is it hard to do? it looks pretty fragile to
me and should the tab break then the printer is useless... it would be
interesting to document this modification. thanks.

> have you actually done this? is it hard to do? it looks pretty fragile
> to me and should the tab break then the printer is useless... it would be
> interesting to document this modification. thanks.

Why would the printer be useless if the tab breaks?

gb

> have you actually done this? is it hard to do? it looks pretty fragile
> to me and should the tab break then the printer is useless... it would be
> interesting to document this modification. thanks.

I should just add that these printers were sold by dell at 10 pounds each in
the uk, including part-filled cartridges. any modification should be made
after using up those. then the loss is pretty tiny if it does not work.

this is well documented elsewhere on usenet - use google

i guess i did not understand your initial comment. are you saying that you
can cut a tab off the top of the lexmark cartridge to allow it to fit into
the dell branded printer? i thought you were suggesting modifying the
retaining clip in the printer which i have seen broken from normal use
(simply trying to close it) and wondered how it would fare under the
knife... thanks.

>i guess i did not understand your initial comment. are you saying that you
>can cut a tab off the top of the lexmark cartridge to allow it to fit into
>the dell branded printer? i thought you were suggesting modifying the
>retaining clip in the printer which i have seen broken from normal use
>(simply trying to close it) and wondered how it would fare under the
>knife... thanks.

If you lift the lid of the cartridge holder, there is a small diagonal tab
(piece of plastic) moulded into the underside of the lid. It's about 1 mm
thick, and the size is about 5mm by 5mm. It's easy to cut out with a sharp
knife.