Question Dell 7450 camera issue

Apr 28, 2021
Hi Guys, I have a dell 7450 that has a camera issue. the color is we off, little purplish and it has lines running vertically. I have swapped the camera with another machine, and the problem stays with the original laptop. Indicating camera is fine. The original camera also works fine in the other laptop. I have reimaged the machine checked drivers etc to no avail.. I'm thinking either the mainboard or cable. When i look at he schematic, the camera is actually a USB camera going straight to a USB port on the Haswell chip. I expected there may be some additional processor chip on the board that may b causing it. I'm struggling to believe it is the motherboard since its connections go straight to USB. I've also checked the power rails and it is spot on 3.3v. Anyone had this issue?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

When i look at he schematic, the camera is actually a USB camera going straight to a USB port on the Haswell chip.
Often times camera's have firmware updates or driver updates to correct any issues. Read on for my thoughts on how to resolve the issue.

I have reimaged the machine
Do you mean you restored the OS using a recovery disk? If so, please reinstall the OS. Speaking of OS, what OS are you working with? Might it be possible to get into BIOS and see what version you're on at the time of writing? You can conversely use CPU-Z to identify the BIOS version for the laptop. Following that, use Dell's support and the SKU/service tag/serial number for the laptop to narrow down the laptop's support page, to source any and/or all BIOS updates(versions) and the latest drivers necessary for the laptop. You should manually install all drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Apr 28, 2021
Laptop is running Windows 10
I swapped system board with another working machine still same issue
Clean Windows 10 install of 1909 - Ran Dell update to update all possible drivers Still same issue. All drivers installed successfully. Re-running dell system scan shows no drivers required
Bios version is A24

Apr 28, 2021
Just to close this, feel incredibly stupid. I still think something is not right however the issue is for now either, "worked around" or fixed. The issue was reported to me that the camera looks terrible and the user showed me the issue using Zoom. I just continued to use zoom evetime I tried to fix the issue. I just happened to open the native windows camera app out of frustration and it was a perfect image, ruling out the camera and associated hardware. I then went back into zoom and found this HD Setting under video settings. It fixed it. However on other same dell machines it doesn't have the same effect. Even i take the SSD out of a machine that I cannot replicate it on and put it in this machine, the issue occurs. Very strange but for now its considered fixed!