Dell 8250 motherboard

aky13

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
Hello,

Where can I find DRIVERS for the on board USB, ethernet and other functions? Failing that, does anyone know if PCI cards for the same functions would work if I disable the onboards through the device manager?

aky13

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
Saint19, any relation to Saints 18 & 20?

Thank you SO MUCH. I saw that one and passed over it not realizing that THAT was THE one I needed.

I'm trying it right now. THANK HEAVEN for A-B switches.

I know JUST enough about computers and what I am doing (reconstituting an old one) to get into trouble.

aky13

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
Saint19,

I downloaded drivers on this (another) PC, burned them onto a CD, then transferred them to the Dell 8250. I followed the instructions and ran the chipset driver installation software. As far as I could tell, it ran correctly.

PROBLEM: STILL no driver shown in Device Manager for usb, ethernet, etc.

Any suggestions?

Should I run a patch or something else first?

Arthur

aky13

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
There appears to be only ONE "chipset" driver to download and run. This is the one that SHOULD take care of my problem because the ethernet, usb and something called the "multimedia audio controller" are all on the motherboard.

Without the ethernet connectivity, I must download whatever to another computer, burn it to CD and then transfer it. VERY SLOW.

I will try your suggestion right now, but I have no confidence that running the other drivers will help. None seem to be relevant.

Arthur

aky13

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
NO LUCK. I'm out of ideas. The chipset driver software APPEAR to run properly. NO error messages. Reboot screen at end. Upon reboot, NO CHANGE in system.

aky13

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
Dear Saint19, and I AM recommending you for sainthood,

ONE of them did the trick. Although, to be honest, by now I've unzipped and installed so many, I have NO IDEA which one and I am bleary eyed.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for your patience. You ARE a G-dsend!

Arthur

aky13

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
Looks like I need your help with one other function. Apparently, the chipset drivers did NOT enliven my USB ports. I've looked through the drivers from Dell and none of them seem to fit.

SO FAR, you are batting 1000 - as witnessed by the fact that I am writing to you via my internet connection from my "new" Dell Dimension 8250. I was ubable to do so without your help!

aky13

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
YES. In fact, my Device manager shows TWO of them! Both have the yellow question mark. PLUS, something called a multimedia audio controller, also with a yellow question mark.

aky13

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
I just discovered that the REAR USB ports ARE working, but are "slow" USB. the front USB port, inconveniently located, is NOT working. I do have a new High Speed USB 2.0 card. From your previous answer, I should be able to install that without needing to disable anything else.

Check the proper connection of those USB front ports to the mobo.

Also check the audio driver since the yellow icon means that isn't the correct driver or wasn't installed properly.

Install the chipset driver again with the device manager open and see what happen while the chipset driver is installed.

Finally, yeah u can install that USB card without disable something else in the rig.