Dell 9020 power supply upgrade

Jul 19, 2018
Hey so i have a dell 9020 mini tower and i was wondering about upgrading my psu and i know i need an adapter but is there a specific psu that i need?

Solution
As long as you pick up an adapter for the 24-pin cable, any ATX PSU will work. Obviously you don't want a 1KW+ PSU that would be too long for the room you have. But if you stay in the 750W or less, they are all pretty much the same length.

I put a Antec 500W Earthwatts in my Optiplex 9020 because I wanted to keep the top-mount style. But they are all gone now. Have to find them places like ebay.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
As long as you pick up an adapter for the 24-pin cable, any ATX PSU will work. Obviously you don't want a 1KW+ PSU that would be too long for the room you have. But if you stay in the 750W or less, they are all pretty much the same length.

I put a Antec 500W Earthwatts in my Optiplex 9020 because I wanted to keep the top-mount style. But they are all gone now. Have to find them places like ebay.

Solution

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Nope. Any size you choose as long as the PSU length doesn't cramp the tight quarters between PSU and optical drive(if you have one). Keep in mind, the retail PSUs won't have as compact a wiring harness as the custom lengths that the Dell proprietary PSUs do. No big deal, just takes a bit to tidy up all the extra length wires/cables.

Did you find an adapter yet? Amazon has them. That's where I got mine, I think. Newegg too. Are you in the US?

Jul 19, 2018

Nope. Any size you choose as long as the PSU length doesn't cramp the tight quarters between PSU and optical drive(if you have one). Keep in mind, the retail PSUs won't have as compact a wiring harness as the custom lengths that the Dell proprietary PSUs do. No big deal, just takes a bit to tidy up all the extra length wires/cables.

Did you find an adapter yet? Amazon has them. That's where I got mine, I think. Newegg too. Are you in the US?
Hey its ben awhile aha, i got carried away with school. Im thinking of buying a 500W evga white psu, and could you link me to the adapter you bought? i did buy one but its got this electrical tape and looks really bad and im not trying to start a fire aha. Also how long is your gpu cause im thinking of putitng in a rx 570 once i upgrade but its about 9.5 inch