Question Dell 9020 RAM Strangeness

mmurley

Reputable
Jan 24, 2020
If I add RAM to the "blue slots" (3&4) on my transplanted Optiplex 9020, on startup I get a error message that the memory configuration has changed and to select F1 to continue or F2 to change the memory in BIOS (A25).

There is no option on the BIOS to reconfigure the memory. Exiting the BIOS results in a boot failure.

After removing the RAM in those slots, it takes several restarts to get the computer.

Others who have had similar problems have updated the BIOS, but A25 is the latest BIOS.

Any ideas?

mmurley

Reputable
Jan 24, 2020
Your first two modules should have been in the slots with the white tabs. Then the new modules go in the ones with black tabs. Is this how you have them installed?

Yes.

So this AM I switched the modules I put the 'new ones' (Dell OEM) in slots 1&2 (white). The computer started with no issues. Those are specifically Hynix 4GB PC3-12800.

Then I put the 'original' modules in slots 3&4 (black tabs). On startup , after the BIOS screens, I got a "Warning! The memory configuration has been changed, press F1 to continue or F2 to enter setup" message. I pressed F1 and the computer booted.

Then I tried a restart (soft boot). Computer won't start - fans start and stop repeatedly and I get a beep ---beep---beep. Which is a single beep and not listed by Dell - dell says the memory failure beep code is 1-3-2 .

Took the 'original modules' out, cold booted and I get :

"Error! Memory configured incorrectly. Please enter setup for memory information details.
Alert! The amount of system memory has changed.
System halted!"

That error message is not listed by Dell. Neither is the "Memory configuration has been changed" error message.

I restarted and entered the BIOS. In the Dell BIOS A25 for the 9020 there is only memory information (no way to configure it) - it shows this. Exit the BIOS and the computer boots into Windows. The 'new' or Hynix modules are installed.

The 'original' modules are Kingston. The Hynix are double sided and the Kingston single sided. The computer will boot with either modules in slots 1&2 (white tabs). And will boot once (after F1) with both installed, but not after that.

The RAM modules are all good. There's something wonky. Could be the BIOS or DIMM slots 3&4 - but it will boot with those slots populated (under conditions).

Thank you for the additional information. I have a Dell 3020 so pretty familiar with the platform. The single side vs double-sided is probably what's causing the problem. We can investigate this more by putting one of the kingston in slot 1 and one of the hynix in slot 2 and let's see if it boots. Swap them if it doesn't boot with kingston in slot 1.

mmurley

Reputable
Jan 24, 2020
Thank you for the additional information. I have a Dell 3020 so pretty familiar with the platform. The single side vs double-sided is probably what's causing the problem. We can investigate this more by putting one of the kingston in slot 1 and one of the hynix in slot 2 and let's see if it boots. Swap them if it doesn't boot with kingston in slot 1.

Samir

The 9020 owners manual specifically says not to do that. It causes BSOD on startup (ask me how I know!).