Question Dell Alienware M18x R2 GPU throttling/bottlenecked? CPU throttling/bottlenecked? Or just plain old?

bobertbbb

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2013
Before I get into it, here's the other specs:
CPU: Intel Core i-7-3630QM 2.40 GHz (Overclocked)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M
RAM: 24 GB
Laptop Age: 8 yrs (in this case i think it might be relevant lol)

Around April 2020 Ive been getting insane lag after about 5 mins of gameplay and the lag would be like for a second or two with sound still going. Ive tried just about everything i can think of and have found from research:
• Uninstalled/Re-installed drivers
• Virus scans
• Replaced battery
• Reapplied Arctic thermal paste on CPU (Was just done today actually, but havent reapplied it on GPU since i heard you're not supposed to do that)
• Cleaned fans and inside in general
• Reinstalled windows
• Reinstalled windows on different/newer HDD
• Upgraded to Windows 10
• Screwed around with power settings (trying to disable CPU throttling by changing the max and min to 100%)
• Tried the disable throttling via registry solution
• Tried Thotttlestopper
• Tried game on lowest settings on everything.

I have also taken pics of Afterburner when i had the game in windowed mode and noticed temp would go down as well as mhz. Also have pics of CPUID HWMonitor of CPU temps and other stuff that i THINK may be relevant:

Before Throttling (And Yes i have Unlock Voltage Control checked and still is at 0mv):

When Throttling Happens:

CPIUD HW Top Half (when Idle):

CPIUD HW Bottom Half (when Idle):

The temp for CPU is generally around 40C something-50C something never going higher than that. GPU generally goes from 50C something-60C something never going higher than that. When the lag happens i noticed on task manager that CPU and GPU usage would drop down to 0% and go back to the normal 20-30+% range. I've had this machine since 2013 and didnt start to game on it until around 2014, and that was very light gaming, and until December 2019-April 2020 ive been sort of heavy gaming. Not daily, but heavier than usual. This machine ran everything very well until about April lol. The game i play, Dead Island, isnt the most isnt very graphically demanding either since its from like 2011. This machine is also was used for 3D Modeling, i would say more often then gaming since thats why i bought it to begin with. So, is my CPU throttling? GPU throttling? Or is my machine just too plain old? Or am i even in the right ball park? About throttling? Could it be something else that im completely unaware of?

Last edited:

bobertbbb

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2013
Okay, i found out it was my HDD this whole time. Bought a SSD and that seems to have done the trick. To anyone that found this, try replacing your HDD with a SSD.