Dell Alienware monitor and LG 4k UHD TV connected and working at the same time?

thtran6

Upstanding
Oct 2, 2018
Hello everyone,

I currently have a setup with the following specs:
mobo msi z370 A pro
gpu GTX 1080
monitor Dell Alienware AW3418DW with 3440x1440 resolution and 120 Hz

I have the above monitor connected via display port with a display port 1.2 cable and was able to achieve the 120 Hz refresh rate. I use this monitor mainly for gaming.

My plan is to have another separate screen just for watching movies.
I'm looking at the 4k LG 43'' UHD HDR screen.
So my question is: would I be able to hook the above screen to my computer via HDMI cable and have it working at the same time as my alienware monitor? OR, do I have to unplug one to use the other?

(Btw, would the HDMI allow me to watch in HDR?)

Thank you very much for all of your help. I really appreciate it.

Yes, you will be able to run both together at the same time. I have a ultrawide and a 4k monitor and they both work fine. As far as HDR, it should work over HDMI considering this is how TVs use HDR. For HDR games in 4k you may have issues though as bandwidth may be a concern over HDMI.

thtran6

Upstanding
Oct 2, 2018

Thanks for your reply!
I am curious if there would be any difference between:
(1) running the HDMI cable from my alienware monitor (it has an HDMI port on the side) to the LG TV
(2) running the HDMI cable directly from the HDMI ports on the cpu to the LG TV?

thtran6

Upstanding
Oct 2, 2018

Hey thanks again for your help man.
I have one additional question.
I have a 5.1 speaker system z906 connected to a sound card in the computer.
If I connect my LG TV to the gtx 1080 (in addition to the alienware monitor that was already connected), would the speaker system be able to play for the TV? OR do I have to find a way to connect my z906 to the TV instead of the sound card?

Thanks in advance!