Dell Announces $24 Billion Deal to Go Private

Status
Not open for further replies.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Dell servers are among the best and their Precison workstation laptops are not too shabby either. I've never had a problem with Dell service (just the opposite). So overall, as far as PC vendors go who else is better, who else provides good enterprise hardware? Maybe HP, but they have their own problems which seem worse in my opinion.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
There was just so much "Dell" in that article...

[citation][nom]p05esto[/nom]Dell servers are among the best and their Precison workstation laptops are not too shabby either. I've never had a problem with Dell service (just the opposite). So overall, as far as PC vendors go who else is better, who else provides good enterprise hardware? Maybe HP, but they have their own problems which seem worse in my opinion.[/citation]
Dell's consumer PCs/Laptops are horribly over-priced.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]There was just so much "Dell" in that article...Dell's consumer PCs/Laptops are horribly over-priced.[/citation]

Don't get me started on their enthusiast products. 3000 bucks for a tower I could build for 1200.

The only good thing about dell's consumer laptops is you can get an el cheapo for ~300 bucks, so when your brat kid sits on it and breaks the screen, you throw it out and buy a new one.

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
[citation][nom]nieur[/nom]I think it will allow company to make brave decisions[/citation]

This is the part I look forward to. They have a solid enterprise model that produces profit and keeps the company operating in the black. By going private, they can be unshackled by the hindrance of shareholders, and instead able to invest billions into new tech and other business routes that would on paper cause them to be less profitable for one quarter.

Without the obsession of wall street demands or subject to knee-jerk reaction in the trading market, they can concentrate on tangible profits and investments of the company and not be at the mercy of sensationalist stock market shares.

Not only brave decisions but choices that have long term returns which is something that can't happen when your a public company. Hopefully they focus on quality like when they first started and less on the bottom line.

G

Hahhhaahhaahha Metro will take over the world now! YAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY METRO!! Boo to Windows 7 and Linux! God bless you Metro!

susyque747

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
[citation][nom]nieur[/nom]I think it will allow company to make brave decisions[/citation]
Yeah, don't you mean what ever Dell's new master Microsoft says.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Dell has made some interesting products, but jumping on the cellular bandwagon was not a good fit for them. They have made the right move though, as HP's stability as a company has been up for debate ever since the "we are selling our PC department" slip up last year.

I am glad one of the big OEM's will still be around in a few years without having to go the way of Gateway (who used to make the best pc's imo.)

Status
Not open for further replies.