Dell Announces Vostro All-in-One Desktop PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Dang that looks ugly. I think we just took a step backwards in pc style.

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
[citation][nom]gaysignuprequirements[/nom]Dang that looks ugly. I think we just took a step backwards in pc style.[/citation]
A step backwards would be CRT monitors sitting on top of beige boxes IMHO. For a business PC, I see no problem with the Dell pictured.

war2k9

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
Price is right. Dell products to me mostly junk or mac want to be. Customer support is a joke. I will never by a dell again.

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
[citation][nom]Wayoffbase[/nom]I'm just surprised we didn't have this already.[/citation]
Me too, seems like it is an obvious inclusion which I guess is why Dell is adding it late better than never.

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
[citation][nom]Belardo[/nom]This website is old and dead. But its concepts with the VESA mount is years old, long before the AIO craze has started.Some years ago, I chatted with one of the guys who was trying to get this out to market. He had tried get Dell interested in it.http://www.geocities.com/discpc/products_3gallery.htmlNotice how its round like the Dell Logo.[/citation]

That DiscPC thing is *horrible* looking. Its also not a very good design in terms of scalability. Sure the disc thing might work for a 15" display but scale that up to the 20" displays that are rapidly becoming the norm for desktop use and you'd have a ridiculously large amount of wasted space around the rectangular display due to the top and bottom curved bits. Its also incredibly thick, even by 2001 standards.

Glorian

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
I don't think its bad looking, and the price isn't bad either, this would be great for my computer lab at school, we currently have vostro slim cases and 19" wide screen and those take up plenty of space. If this thing came in at 17 or 19 inch would save me gobs of space, I can't even get speakers for all the computers cause of limited space. I'm sure dell will give discounts to schools as they did for our other pc's.

Ambictus

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
[citation][nom]gaysignuprequirements[/nom]Dang that looks ugly. I think we just took a step backwards in pc style.[/citation]

Yeah, where's the flashy lightz and windoz yo?! :p

Some of us prefer minimalistic designs...

Glorian

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
Thanks, but no. Build your own computer. Heck i even suggest Business Companies to build their own computers instead of buying OEM.

Easier said that done my friend. Lots of red tape, at least at the school level. We didn't actually buy our own pc's cause if we did I woulda told them I would build them. But since the money was coming form a technology grant from AT&T they were going to buy them and at 400 bucks a pop, a dell vostro with a dual core cpu and a 19" lcd was our only hope for new computers

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
That DiscPC prototype was made around 2003, if I remember right. Its designed to be upgradable. Also keep in mind how technology has changed in 6~7 years!

My 24" LCD monitor is less than a year old, its heavier and more than twice as thick as todays 24" models. But yeah, the Disc PC has problems in that we are now wide-screen and at least a 19~20" model would be required. Unlike the prototype's 15" 4:3 screen.

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
[citation][nom]Belardo[/nom]That DiscPC prototype was made around 2003, if I remember right. Its designed to be upgradable. Also keep in mind how technology has changed in 6~7 years!My 24" LCD monitor is less than a year old, its heavier and more than twice as thick as todays 24" models. But yeah, the Disc PC has problems in that we are now wide-screen and at least a 19~20" model would be required. Unlike the prototype's 15" 4:3 screen.[/citation]

True, the thickness of it isn't too bad but the lack of foresight in terms of screen size is really bad. Its been clear for at least ten years that screen sizes are getting larger and larger. Even if you ignore the trend to widescreen, a 20" 4:3 screened Disc PC would sit a minimum of 20" tall on a desk and would have a huge amount of wasted plastic. A 24" Disc PC would look absolutely ridiculous and would be woefully impractical.

It was a novel idea, for sure, however I can see why manufacturers of the time steered clear.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Yeah, anything beyond 17" the round design would start being huge. Imagine it with a 24" display!

Hmm, but for a little netPC for about $400~500 and a 15" screen, it could be workable. Obviously, with todays technology, it would be a lot thiner very easily - espeically with an Atom CPU and the power supply on the outside. Look at how the netbook market has exploded with 9~12" screens as people seem to be moving away from 17" notebooks.

Looking at the site, it was designed back in 2001 - before the lamp-shade iMacs hit the market. And some how, it was user upgradeable for a graphics card, which could explain its thickness as well.

I saw in Frys, a round computer from SONY - but its sits on a table and obviously no LCD monitor, kind of like a mac-mini.

Status
Not open for further replies.