[SOLVED] Dell boot sequence in bios

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

supressed

Prominent
Oct 17, 2020
I've recently cloned my HDD to my new SSD, and would like to change my boot process in the BIOS, as is seemingly "easy" according to everywhere on the internet. Dell's BIOS however doesn't have a simple dropdown menu with a C: and D: to choose from. I have called Dell's customer support only to be told it is impossible to do this without reinstalling windows completely on my SSD? Anybody have a clue how to help me? The drive is already cloned, and seemingly in perfect condition. I see no boot sequence at all in the BIOS, under the boot sequence menu. (Not one that my new butt understands).

Thanks in advance guys.

Solution
Dell has told me that cloning and changing boot process is impossible because Windows is running, and the only way is to reinstall Windows on my SSD after watching a youtube video. They did not however provide me a youtube video. Are they correct? Any chance anyone has the appropriate video?
That person is wrong.

Cloning a running Windows instance is done daily. (see specific tools and steps below)
Changing the boot order happens before Windows boots up.

You don't do it all at once.
Clone, power off, disconnect the old drive, boot up and check the BIOS boot order, adjust if needed, continue.

-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
-----------------------------
Verify the actual...

supressed

Prominent
Oct 17, 2020
Same thing my friend. No bootable devices found when I unplug my HDD...but the clone was a success. I did however use EaseUS again because Samsung was over their daily download limit. Do you think it could be the software doing me a disservice??

supressed

Prominent
Oct 17, 2020
Unless I'm mistaken, I am checking as we speak, and it seems that EaseUs doesnt let me clone multiple partitions at once. No I have only been cloning the main C: so what you're saying makes great sense. But when I attempt to select multiple partitions to clone, it just changes from one to the next...it does not select multiple. Shall I download the other application you suggested next to Samsung's?

supressed

Prominent
Oct 17, 2020
I've got no luck tonight. Sorry to keep bugging you. Macrium is telling me I've got insufficient space to hold about 120 gigs, on a 500gb drive? I have tried everything, it looks perfect to me, but clicking next gives me the same error every time. "Not all files transferred: Insufficient space"

USAFRet

Titan
I've got no luck tonight. Sorry to keep bugging you. Macrium is telling me I've got insufficient space to hold about 120 gigs, on a 500gb drive? I have tried everything, it looks perfect to me, but clicking next gives me the same error every time. "Not all files transferred: Insufficient space"
For a 500GB target drive, the source data must be below 400GB.
No exceptions.

Delete some stuff.

supressed

Prominent
Oct 17, 2020
I'm trying to individually click and drag each partition now, it was suggested elsewhere in a forum...I dont know what to say, I'll do my best, I appreciate your help.

supressed

Prominent
Oct 17, 2020
All of that worked wonderfully, I'd like to thank you alot. One last question for tomorrow though, or anyone watching tonight.

Now that I've got my HDD unplugged, to allow for my PC to boot naturally from it's secondary drive...if I plug my HDD back in, will it not boot from that again automatically? If not. Great. If so. How do I get around that?