Dell Claims Carbon Neutrality

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Now if they'd only put forward another $5 BILLION they could offset all the carbon waste from their past sales of e-waste. But they're not to blame, we as consumers are. Of course, had they actually sold me a "gaming machine" when I asked for one a few years back, instead of a Pentium 3 with a motherboard lacking an AGP slot I might have made a bit more use of it and skipped the early Pentium 4s. So I guess in that regard they did cause me to buy another computer and send one off to the landfill.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
I wonder if their investment in carbon neutrality is out of genuine concern of the environment our out of a perception that carbon markets are an forthcoming inevitability?

As already pointed out, the short time viability of their product (called planned obsolescence) might help determine the answer. Of course, almost all manufacturers are culpable in this - Dell can only use the parts available to them.

jivdis1x

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
Another load of carbon BS. Everyone be afraid of the big bad CO2! Give me a freaking break. It's the gas we breath out and plants breath in. It's great that a company is moving toward saving more green - to be more competitive.

bfstev

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
The whole carbon thing is just to make them look good and to keep them compettitive in the market. Dell caiters to the typical consumer who doesn't know all that much about the speciafics of these things. But that consumer sees this and says "i care about the planet." and that makes dell more attractive to them. This was just a secondary benefit of this though but the one that they will tell people was their main driving force. the real reason they did it was it will probably save them millions of dollars in energy costs and utility bills from their overhead, translating this into a worthwile investment.

Status
Not open for further replies.