DELL CPU's, Intel CPU QUestion in general...... model #'s

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Another question for you experts just to pique my thirst for
knowledge---please.


I saw these processors listed below - so out of curiousity. I am not
sure of the difference....


QUESTION 1.: In essence I am not sure if I have an "E" or "EJ"
processor currently at 3ghz in my Dell Dimension 8400.

Pulled this from Newegg I believe on retail boxes processors in
general:


A. Intel Pentium 4 w/ HT Technology - 3.6GHz Processor
(3.6GHz, 1MB, 800MHz FSB, Socket 775 - SKU: ***********BX80547PG3600E)
The Intel Pentium 4 560 processor is compatible with the LGA775 socket
and features a 3.6GHz operating frequency, an 800MHz front side bus, a
1MB L2 cache and Hyper Threading Technology. Get advanced performance
for today's productivity, digital imaging, music and entertainment
applications. The Intel Pentium 4 Processor provides the performance,
quality, and reliability demanded by consumer and business customers.


....there there is another type... (note "J" at end of product code)


B. Intel Pentium 4 560J w/ HT Technology - 3.6GHz Processor
*******(3.6GHz, 1MB, 800MHz - SKU: BX80547PG3600EJ)
This boxed Intel Pentium 4 560J processor is compatible with the LGA775

socket and features a 3.6GHz operating frequency, an 800MHz front side
bus, a 1MB L2 cache and Hyper Threading Technology.
*****This processor is an E0 step processor and includes support for
Execute Disable Bit, Thermal Monitor 2, and Enhanced Halt State. The
Intel Pentium 4 Processor provides the performance, quality, and
reliability demanded by consumer and business customers.


QUESTION 2:
Can a 6xx CCPU (w/2mb L2 cache) be put in a Dell 8400 with a 5xx
CPU/chipset or would that conflict with perhaps the
BIOS or something else?


Thanks again-just trying to learn. Not going to buy a new chip for a
long long time.


Patty
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Thanks very much I do have DEP and can turn it on.

Yes I agree it would be a waste of mony but I always like to learn new
things, possibilities and so on.

Also a lot of people ask me for free advice.

Thanks, Patty
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

pattyjamas@hotmail.com wrote:
> Another question for you experts just to pique my thirst for
> knowledge---please.
>
>
> I saw these processors listed below - so out of curiousity. I am not
> sure of the difference....
>
>
> QUESTION 1.: In essence I am not sure if I have an "E" or "EJ"
> processor currently at 3ghz in my Dell Dimension 8400.
>
> Pulled this from Newegg I believe on retail boxes processors in
> general:
>
>
> A. Intel Pentium 4 w/ HT Technology - 3.6GHz Processor
> (3.6GHz, 1MB, 800MHz FSB, Socket 775 - SKU: ***********BX80547PG3600E)
> The Intel Pentium 4 560 processor is compatible with the LGA775 socket
> and features a 3.6GHz operating frequency, an 800MHz front side bus, a
> 1MB L2 cache and Hyper Threading Technology. Get advanced performance
> for today's productivity, digital imaging, music and entertainment
> applications. The Intel Pentium 4 Processor provides the performance,
> quality, and reliability demanded by consumer and business customers.
>
>
> ...there there is another type... (note "J" at end of product code)
>
>
> B. Intel Pentium 4 560J w/ HT Technology - 3.6GHz Processor
> *******(3.6GHz, 1MB, 800MHz - SKU: BX80547PG3600EJ)
> This boxed Intel Pentium 4 560J processor is compatible with the LGA775
>
> socket and features a 3.6GHz operating frequency, an 800MHz front side
> bus, a 1MB L2 cache and Hyper Threading Technology.
> *****This processor is an E0 step processor and includes support for
> Execute Disable Bit, Thermal Monitor 2, and Enhanced Halt State. The
> Intel Pentium 4 Processor provides the performance, quality, and
> reliability demanded by consumer and business customers.
>

From what I understand, the only difference between the 560 & 560J is
that the J has the "Execute Disable Bit" to protect against buffer
overflows. One way to check (Assuming your have XP SP2) in you have the
J is to look under My Computer -> Properties -> Advanced -> Performance
Options -> Data Execution Prevention and check if you can turn it on.
Please note I'm doing this out of memory, and I'm not running Windows
at the moment. Also note you need to at least be runninng SP2 if you're
running XP (both Home & Pro ought to support it).

>
> QUESTION 2:
> Can a 6xx CCPU (w/2mb L2 cache) be put in a Dell 8400 with a 5xx
> CPU/chipset or would that conflict with perhaps the
> BIOS or something else?
>
I'll let someone with an 8400 answer this... I presume it ought to be
alright with updated BIOS, but I don't really know.

>
> Thanks again-just trying to learn. Not going to buy a new chip for a
> long long time.
>
>
> Patty
>

I saw your other thread, and I completely agree with the conclusion.
With your stated uses, it would be a waste of money to buy the latest chip.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS