Dell deal vs homebuilt

narek23

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
Hey guys, I've been saving up money to build my first homebuilt system, but I just came across this dell deal. I was wondering if it would still be worth it to make my own system since I'd get to pick exactly which companies products go into my system. Here are the specs and pricing

Proc: i7 920
Ram: 6gb tri-channel dd3 sdram at 1066mhz - 6 dimms
dual drives: 16x dvd-rom drive + 16x DVD+/-RW w/ dbl layer write capability
HDD: 500gb 7200 RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache
sound: Soundblaster X-Fi Hi Def Audio - Software Enabled
bluetooth mouse / keyboard / media card reader package
monitor: 2209w
video: ATI HD 3450 256 MB
speakers: Dell A525 30 Watt 2.1 Stereo Speakers with Subwoofer

this comes out to $1079

Now, I'd sell the monitor (I already have one) and the assy video card and make like $200 off that and buy a gtx 285 for about 350 bringing the price to about $1230.

Now my question is, would you rather make your own computer and spend extra money to buy specific things or would you go with this if you had the chance right now. Thanks for your help

I'd build my own, especially since you've already said you'll need to make changes. The PSU in that Dell likely couldn't power the video card you want either, so that's one more thing you'd have to replace.

It's not a bad deal if you keep the monitor, but since you're getting rid of the monitor you may as well just build it yourself since it will cost about the same as modifying it, and if you do it yourself you can always make it better, faster, stronger. With the dell build you have to Upgrade your PSU, and I doubt the motherboard is too overclocker friendly. If you build it yourself you will get the most out of the 920 by overclocking it and you can choose a case you really like.