Dell Debuts 34-inch 21:9 Curved Monitor At CES

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dgingeri

Distinguished

Good point, but I don't think I'd even use HDMI. My GTX680s only do HDMI 1.4, so it wouldn't work for me anyway. I just stick with DisplayPort these days.

There is a little glitch with this Dell monitor, though. It defaults to the first DisplayPort input, but doesn't come with a full DisplayPort cable. It comes with a DisplayPort to mini-DisplayPort cable. So, I hooked mine from my video card's DP port to the monitor mDP port. It took some effort turning the monitor off and back on to get it to change inputs before power saver mode kicked in. Once set, it works great. It just took a few minutes to get it switched over.

Also, some games have issues with the large resolution. Star Trek Online won't even start with it set to Windowed Maximized. It has to be started in safe mode, then resize the windows, and then set all the settings back up, every time I start the game. Once started, the extra width is a great advantage in space battles. Starcraft 2 wouldn't run the whole res. The max it would do was 2560X1440, leaving back bars on either side. Diablo 3 and WoW worked great, though. The extra width is a great help when tanking in WoW. Blizzard has stated they have no intention of letting SC2 work at that aspect ratio, and I have a bug ticket in with STO to see if they'll fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.