Dell Debuts 34-inch 21:9 Curved Monitor At CES

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to Dell, it actually sports a dual 9w audio solution, and not 2x18w as described in the article (which would be suspiciously high for a monitor). Other sources have stated that the built-in USB 3.0 HUB acts as KVM, with which the user may connect two different computers and choose between a split screen PC1/PC2 or alternating full screen between the two, all with the same mouse and keyboard.

EDIT: This is actually confirmed in Dell's product page.

So why not 4K and curved and IPS?

It is curved and IPS, it is not 4k (or UHD for that matter) because it has a 21:9 aspect ratio geared towards a different audience. Personally, I am waiting for this to be available in my country and wouldn't consider it if it were UHD.

So why not 4K and curved and IPS?

http://www.newtechnology.co.in/dell-ultrasharp-u3415w-price/

"Dell UltraSharp U3415W Monitor Key Features :

34 inches Ultra HD IPS LCD monitor
Ultrawide viewing angles
Slim design and thin bezel
Energy efficient
Amazing picture quality with more vivid colors and sharp images"

2. Cause 4k has issues

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnrxNfxRK_4

"I thought I cared about 4K... And for a while I truly did. Now I have this, and I don't remember why 4K ever mattered... Welcome to my review of the LG 34UM95."

I've seen the big screen curved displays in the high-end home theater sections of the B&M stores like Best Buy and can see how they make a difference to anyone sitting off-center. However, for a PC monitor where users (almost solely by themselves) sit square in front of the monitor at all times close up, I don't see the need for a curved display.

Think IMax .... the purpose of the curved display is to provide a sense of immersion..... bring you "into" the action May bring more to 3D also.

I'd love to try one of these to replace the three screens I use now ( two 5:4, one 16:10. ) I think the biggest adjustment would be to not maximize application windows. I'm guessing this would also be easier than gaming across multiple displays since it all comes over a single output, right?

hardcore_player

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011
pricing is my NO1 concern ... for instance in my country the prices of computer parts is doubled from what you ( Americans and Europeans ) Know ...
the LG 34UC97 is 9990 NIS in ksp.co.il
9,990.00 ILS = 2,519.97 USD
or LG 34UM95 7,890.00 ILS = 1,991.23 USD
see what i mean

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007
Linus has a serious issue with the consistency of his reviews. Something is the 'best ever' in his reviews...until the following week. Linus is PAID to give reviews, meaning he can be biased on occasion. Case in point, the LG 34UM95 has serious problems with dead pixels, backlight bleed (really bad on most units), horrible response time, very noticeable ghosting (yes, it's an IPS monitor, so be careful what you ask for!), and being way overpriced by 3rd party sellers are just some of the problems. I am far happier with my Acer XB280HK 4K GSYNC monitor than I was ever with the LG 34UM95.

dgingeri

Distinguished
Any news on when they're going to have it available in the US market. I've been waiting for it since I heard about it in October. It's been available on the Hong Kong site since November.

Because the curve is now concave instead of convex. The idea is that the panel can curve around your face so each part of it stays the same distance from your eyes. That means your focal distance doesn't shift as much as you look from the center of your screen to the edge.

I rarely agree with Linus nut the fact that he gets paid independently of the suppliers is a + IMO. I wasn't endorsing IPS or LG ..... I have a $1000 IPS and a $250 144 Hz TN .... with three kids here and 4 boxes ..... if there's 3 people playing, the unused screen is always the IPS. I was just responding to the comment about the screen resolution, and screen resolution alone. In that I agree with Linus in that I have no interest in 4k until"

1. The horrendous scaling issues are resolved.
2. There's 144 Hz
3. GFX card power increases tot he point where you can play anything at 60 fps or above @ 144 Hz at max settings

Eggz

Distinguished

Well, he isn't paid to do the reviews. There's a bunch of sponsors, and many aren't even tech-related, YouTube monitization, kickbacks from Amazon, etc. He actually spends a lot of time telling manufacturers exactly what went wrong.

There were two video reviews of that display. The first one noted the light bleed as being very bad. The second review only noted that LG claimed to be fixing it in productions models, where LG noted that the sample they sent to Linus was a pre-production model. All he did was say that it was supposed to be fixed by the time shipping goes out.

He's been a pretty reliable source.

Eggz

Distinguished

Do you think it's any better or worse than the 34 in curved LG? The stand on the LG seems nicer looking, and I'd suspect that they are the same panel. Not sure, though. Do you have any info on this?

dgingeri

Distinguished

Well, I've always been a fan of the Dell Ultrasharp series stands. It does height adjustment, which the LG stand doesn't do. It is the same panel and effectively the same monitor, however, Dell's support is such easier to work with, plus it comes with the advance exchange warranty coverage by default, which LG's does not.

So, for the same price, the Dell has a few advantages. So, I'd say it is better.

Just ordered mine, too. Gotta love Dell for their worldwide availability and support, it costs me some 15% more than it would in the U.S., while the best deal I could find for an LG model was some 100% over the U.S. price (~2000USD for a 34UM95).

dgingeri

Distinguished
Mine arrived today. It's great. It's beautiful. There's an app called the Dell Display Manager that comes with it that is great for auto arranging windows on the screen and setting the various settings. In addition, it automatically adjusts the setting presets depending on what app you're running, if you want it to. I turned that off because I didn't like the auto-dimming while watching movies.

The speakers sound like crap, though. Don't bother even trying them. They sound like an iPhone set inside a Solo cup.

Eggz

Distinguished

Just found a MAJOR point in favor of the Dell over the LG: HDMI 2.0.

The LG is only HDMI 1.4, so you can't even run the full reslution at 60 hz on the LG. Dumb!

Too bad the LG's so pretty

Status
Not open for further replies.