Dell Dimension 2200 GPU Upgrade?

Asinger93

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Okay. So, I have a Dell dimension 2200. I want to upgrade the GPU to a PCI, instead of onboard. Would I use NVIDIA or ATI? Or could I not do it at all?

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
You could do it, but you're stuck with PCI (NOT PCI-E, PCIe, or PCI express. Those names all mean the same thing, and unfortunately your computer can't work with graphics cards that use that interface. You need good old PCI). If you look on Ebay there's always a few Geforce 6200 PCI graphics cards for sale. They typically go for about $40-$50. Now, there may also be an ATI 3xxx series card built for PCI, but it will be more expensive and harder to find, not to mention, that Dell can only run Pentium III class CPUs, so even an older Geforce 6200 will likely be bottlenecked by the CPU's relatively low performance. Regardless, upgrading the Graphics to anything will definitely be an upgrade over the Intel Extreme Graphics, but just don't expect to be playing any high end games with that old rig. If you just want something better for DVD watching but not gaming, an ATI rage128 PCI card will work great, and it has very little power consumption, plus it's cheap.

Grant1872x

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
I Have an nVidia 6200 LE and I will sell it to you for $36 (around £25)
I live in the UK and I dunno if it's PCI-E but it's 4 years old at least, lol PM me if u want.

It's still working but I had to upgrade mine, that's all.