Dell Dimension 2300 power shuts off.

I_WONDER_WHY

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
Hi Folks,

I've got a Dell 2300 Dimension that I've had for years. The problem is that now the tower will power off unless it is lying on its side. And the only position is the where the removable side panel is face-up. Any other position, the tower will power down after only a few minutes or less. I have made sure all connections are okay. Not finding much help from other internet sites and Dell won't help. Well I hope someone as an idea as to what's going on. Thankx in ADVANCE.

I_WONDER_WHY

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012

Hi COLGeek,

I thought about that.... I thing I forgot to mention is that there was a 'bracket' of some sort that fell out of the tower. From the Dell documents/drawings I've seen there is not a description of it. But it seems that it might have attached to the hard drive. Unfortunately I can't find it any longer.... My kids are doing their best 'Sargent Shultz' (from Hogan's Heroes) routine... Any possibility the movement of the hard drive maybe causing the tower to power down. There does seem to be a correlation between drive activity and the tower powering down when in any other position then the one I've described previously.

The hard drive is held in that unit with a swing out cage, the bracket is likely the "spare" hard drive bracket (so you have a place to put one if so desired), it just clips into the swing out but there is a screw to that bracket that holds it in place. The screw didn't make it into/ around the PSU did it?
edit: or behind the motherboard possibly

I_WONDER_WHY

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012

Hi COLGeeek. Sorry for the delayed response to yourself and everyone else who has responded. I'm not an everyday PC user. In this household that's a premium. I'm sorry to say that I don't have a picture of it. And I haven't been able to locate one on the net. Another poster C12Friedman has best described it so far. It was some sort of bracket that did have a swing out latch (oe maybe two) that seems to have clipped onto something. I know 'something' is rather vague, but without having the bracket it's kind of the best I can do.

I_WONDER_WHY

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012

Hi Kisisnik,

Thanx for responding. I have checked the cables going to the h/d, and everything seems to be okay. But I will take it outside whenever the suns shines (been raining everday for two weeks) again for better light. And anything you can find out this mystery bracket will certainly help.

I_WONDER_WHY

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012

HI C12Friedman

Your description of the the bracket in question is just about right. I believe it had one or two snaps on it. But this Dell 2300 did not come with a swing out cage cover for the h/d unit. At least from looking at the Dell documentation for it. http://www.dell.com/support/Manuals/us/en/19/Product/dimension-2300. Thanx

I_WONDER_WHY

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012

Thanx to you and everyone for their help.

I_WONDER_WHY

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012

Hi COLGEEK,

Unfortunately no it is not. The best I could describe it was a silver toned slightly curved bracket. It almost looks like a 'hair clip'.

I attempted to rebuild a 2350 case (I take old cases down to nothingness for modding parts) I have and discovered the swing out cage I was thinking of came out of an HP machine of the same era (oops) but the bracket you describe sounds like the spring steel tension bracket for the optical drive cage - is it approx 15mm (5/8") x 100mm (4") with a pronounced hump in the middle?

I_WONDER_WHY

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
Hi, C12Friedman,

'but the bracket you describe sounds like the spring steel tension bracket for the optical drive cage - is it approx 15mm (5/8") x 100mm (4") with a pronounced hump in the middle?'. Yes your description reads just like the bracket in question.

This picture shows it in place (top right) - it is (was) simply crimped to the optical drive cage, no rivets or screws are used to attach it - I believe it's purpose is to provide support to the side panel but I really don't remember

1d57d889_vbattach210984.jpeg

I_WONDER_WHY

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012

Thanx C12Friedman, and everyone else who has helped. I see the optical drive bracket you are referring to, and it's in place. The picture was a great idea, unfortunately I could not see the bracket in question. I guess I'll close this out. I wanted to sell this box and thought that this was not going to be such a big deal. Again Thanx to all!!!!

AROss

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
I think your problem might be the heat sink bracket. I poked into the case when my 2300 had the same problem, and found the bracket that holds the heat sink on top of the CPU chip ( I guess that's what it is) had come loose. TO protect itself, when the CPU overheats it just shuts down. I was able to buy a replacement bracket for the heat sink for a few dollars.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_kw=New+Dell+Dimension+2300+2350+Heatsink+Retainer+Bracket
It's under that shroud and once you work it loose you can see that's where that spring clip came from.

And there is your answer - I had forgetten about the HSF mount system on that unit. What was happening was the heatsink would lose contact with the CPU when it was on it's side, but while laying down, there was enough contact for the heatsink to function somewhat. The system was shutting down due to overheating. Replacing that clip or adding a small aftermarket cooler should get you back up and running fine

I_WONDER_WHY

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012

Hi AROss and C12Friedman,

Yes, it was a spring type clip. I did not see one in the link you provided though. Is it part of heat sink bracket? Also I'm somewhat unsure what 'shroud' you are referring to. Is it viewable using the picture C12Friedman supplied?