Dell Dimension 2400 and itegrated Intel Extreme Graphics- ..

My in-laws bought a Dell Dimension 2400 with the integrated 82845G graphics
chip. They're having some graphics problems running some games (Zoo Tycoon
2), and since there's no agp slot I'm considering adding a pci vid card.
The docs say that an agp card would automatically override the 82845 chip,
but is there a jumper or switch to allow a pci vid card? Would it
automatically disable the onboard vid chip?

It's funny- when they bought the system they were sure it would be only for
email and business aps. Now they're trying to play games.

thanks in advance!

Good computer for email, business apps, even things like AutoCad or photo
editing. Mediocre for games.

Installing a PCI graphics card automatically disables the on-board graphics on
any modern Intel-designed motherboard such as the one in the 2400. Or tell your
in-laws to get serious and stop playing games... Ben Myers

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 23:37:12 -0500, "nobody special" <nospam@4methankz.com>
wrote:

>My in-laws bought a Dell Dimension 2400 with the integrated 82845G graphics
>chip. They're having some graphics problems running some games (Zoo Tycoon
>2), and since there's no agp slot I'm considering adding a pci vid card.
>The docs say that an agp card would automatically override the 82845 chip,
>but is there a jumper or switch to allow a pci vid card? Would it
>automatically disable the onboard vid chip?
>
>It's funny- when they bought the system they were sure it would be only for
>email and business aps. Now they're trying to play games.
>
>thanks in advance!

Not on a 2400 with XP. This would setup a dual monitor setup (that's how I
run mine).

Once it is setup, with the monitor connected to the active card (likely the
PCI), go into display setup and ONLY have that monitor active.

Tom

> Not on a 2400 with XP. This would setup a dual monitor setup (that's how
> I run mine).
>
> Once it is setup, with the monitor connected to the active card (likely
> the PCI), go into display setup and ONLY have that monitor active.

Thanks!

> Tom
> <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
>> Good computer for email, business apps, even things like AutoCad or photo
>> editing. Mediocre for games.
>>
>> Installing a PCI graphics card automatically disables the on-board
>> graphics on
>> any modern Intel-designed motherboard such as the one in the 2400. Or
>> tell your
>> in-laws to get serious and stop playing games... Ben Myers
>>
>> On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 23:37:12 -0500, "nobody special"
>> <nospam@4methankz.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>My in-laws bought a Dell Dimension 2400 with the integrated 82845G
>>>graphics
>>>chip. They're having some graphics problems running some games (Zoo
>>>Tycoon
>>>2), and since there's no agp slot I'm considering adding a pci vid card.
>>>The docs say that an agp card would automatically override the 82845
>>>chip,
>>>but is there a jumper or switch to allow a pci vid card? Would it
>>>automatically disable the onboard vid chip?
>>>
>>>It's funny- when they bought the system they were sure it would be only
>>>for
>>>email and business aps. Now they're trying to play games.
>>>
>>>thanks in advance!

TRENDING THREADS