Dell Dimension 2400; new HP 2011x 20-Inch LED Monitor; requires HDMI graphics ca

bp13

Honorable
Apr 17, 2012
In-laws have a Dimension 2400, which in fact I bought them some years back. I remember at one point we upgraded the RAM, but even so it might be just 512! LOL I don't remember exactly.

So, their monitor died. They received a new monitor as a gift. It's an HP 2011x 20-Inch LED Monitor. The manual told them that they need an "HDMI compliant graphics card."

If we must buy a graphics card, is there one that will satisfy the requirements of the monitor and work on the Dimension 2400 with its measly RAM? Or is that not really an issue?

And while we're at it, will they need cables?

Buying a new computer is simply not an option at this time, so we need to find a solution for now.

Thank you!

bp13

Honorable
Apr 17, 2012

Thanks jaguarskx -- so are you saying they should just hook it up and try it out without a graphics card? When I was trying to get info from them over the phone, they said something about "voiding the warranty," but I can't see how it would hurt to try it out.

I'm pretty sure it says HDCP compliant graphics card and not HDMI. Pretty much every graphics card has it. And it's only required to watch bluray movies through the monitor, but for using it everyday - it's not needed. They won't void the warranty, I can guaratee you that, by just connecting the cable.

bp13

Honorable
Apr 17, 2012

I know -- and thank you for your patience -- I know I must sound like a moron. ;) They were making it sound like the user's manual was telling them it would void the warranty, ruin the monitor, blah blah. I suggested a few times that they just hook it up and see what happens, and they were insisting that they couldn't. My major mistake was in taking all this at face value, and immediately searching for the right graphics card, instead of starting from square one and verifying what they told me.

After you pointed out that there is not even an HDMI port, I found and downloaded the user's manual and quickly scanned it:

I see no mention of the need for the special graphics card.
I see no mention of voiding the warranty.
I see no mention of exploding and/or ruined monitors.
And you're right, there's no mention of an HDMI port.

So I have no idea what they're talking about. :eek: And I'm sorry to have taken up your time. :(

bp13

Honorable
Apr 17, 2012

Thanks so much, Sunius. Yeah, they don't have bluray over there, for sure. Okay I will tell them to hook it up and use the darn thing without fear.