Dell Dimension 8400 CPU Upgrade to Dual Core

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celli

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2007
I have a Dell Dimension 8400 with a Pentium 4 Prescott DT 3.2GHZ CPU. I want to upgrade to a Dual Core (maybe Intel E6600)? Can I do this? I think I have a Socket 775. How do I know for sure before I buy? Also, I only have a 350W power supply. Is that enough for the E6600? I don't want to replace the power supply. I've never replaced a CPU and don't know much about this. I've already upgraded my RAM to 2GB and replaced my graphics card with a GeForce 7600GT. Would you upgrade the CPU on this machine? I really love the Dual Core CPU I just got with my new laptop. I want one for my desktop. I appreciate any thoughts!

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
The Motherboard would not be able to handle Pentium D nor Will it ever be Able to handle a Core 2 Duo(you need a 965 Intel Chipset or better) And you need a minimum of 450W power supply, your 350W power supply is already stressed as it is.

Advice: Do not ever build around a Dell or any Pre-Built system. Your limiting yourself in so many ways you have no idea.

You will have to abandon your Dell system, for a Core 2 Duo built you'll need to do a complete fresh new build.

My reply will be followed by people who are willing to tell you exactly what you need to do Build a brand New system.

BTW if you can wait until the End of the Summer you can Buy a Quad-Core for exactly the Same price as a E6600 :D

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Read the underlines EDIT i've just Added above. If you like save your money and you could have a Quad-Core(Q6600) system for the exact same price as a E6600(Dual-Core).

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Physically you wont have any problem replacing the cpu, although if you actually want to use your pc you might have a problem. The first problem is your mobo, all Core 2 Duo's require a new voltage regulator to function, if your computer is pre C2D your mobo probably wont work with a C2D. Theres also the chipset, most older chipsets dont have core 2 support. Your psu probably wont be a problem, since the chip your currently using needs alot more power then any C2D.

Celli

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2007
Got it! I'll probably squeeze another year out of my current system and then I'll start over from scratch with a new Quad Core build for the price of a Dual Core now. I like the plan! Especially, since my computer does what I need it to do for now.
Thanks.

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
All the advice I can give you is to hold on until prices drop for Core 2 Duo cpus. I have a modified dell 4550 (I modded it mainly for the experience) that I added a new gpu, more memory, a new psu (that I had to cut the case out for) and finally a new hard drive...

Mind you, I don't really use this comp any more since I built my Core rig, BUT it still isn't too shabby...

If you don't want your 8400, I could buy it....or you could just give it to me!
Just joking..

But your cpu isn't as bad as mine (a P4 @2.4ghz 533 fsb) so I think it would still do okay with newer stuff provided it has a good amount of ram..
I like the plan! Especially, since my computer does what I need it to do for now.

That's what I said about my ol' dell... It is true and don't let anyone tell you otherwise..

Cheers..

The Rage

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
A "built system" is what?. Depends on the quality of the merchandisse BUT try selling it later. Darn near impossible for even a FRACTIOn of what you've got in it. Fior example, how many water-cooled gaming systems cost nearly 2 grand to build YET try to get 500 out of them 6 months later.

I used to think "built" was better BUT who you gonna' get to fix it?. I mean even if you take the parts out and send them back yourself?. Delay after delay after delay..

You might not be able to modify a Dell the way you want (and don't believe the crap about bigger power supplies because alot of the so-called upgrade PSU's rate their max in PEAK watts, meaning their avg power is no better than yours), BUT you can always SELL a Dell/Trade it. Acer, HP, Gateway/E-Machine?. Yea, those are crap..The one telling you to "build" is probably a backyard builder wanting to SELL you a system of hodge-podge parts. Glorified board-swapper that'll be gone tommorow with the money you gave him!

Desktops are cheap now...Your 8400 is still a beast that can be greatly improved with not alot of money. ATI Radeon 2400/2600 Video. 4 gigs max, 32 mb Cache hd. THat combo, you can even run a Blue Ray burner (The 2400 HD cards can be had for 20 to 25 bux NEW!)...

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
what in God's name empowered you with so much vigor as to resurrect a thread OVER 2 YEARS OLD! Have you taken your meds today? Next time you have something to say, start a new thread, instead of necro-ing one that's been peacefully put to rest. Sweet Jebus....some people and their kids...

smartasc

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Actually... The reason I am posting this reply is because I had the exact question celli posted. I have a Dell Dimension 8400 with 4GB Ram. I have upgraded everything I could possibly think of in an effort to get Vista off the ground on my machine - I know it was a mistake but I want to try and salvage the wreckage by installing Windows 7. I was actually trying to update with a Celeron processor instead of a C2D. I figured a dual core is better than a single core P4. But no dice. Any advice?

Can anyone answer Celli's original question of how to determine the socket? I'm pretty sure its a 775 but I don't know how to verify.

Thanks!

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
Dell Dimension 8400 is LGA 775. The 8400 was only offered as such. Simple as that. To be honest, I'm not sure why I need to tell you this. If you indeed did attempt to insert a dual core Celeron into your Dimension 8400, then you would already know first hand that it is an LGA 775 socket. The Celeron fit inside the socket, didn't it???? (rhetorical question, I already know the answer)

The 8400 supports only Celeron D (except 356, 347, 360, and 352 and all incorrectly labeled 400 series Celerons) and Pentium 4 Prescott CPUs of the 5xx and 6x0 variety. No dual core CPUs will work, not even Pentium D. This is do to a combination of BIOS restrictions, out-of-date VRM revisions, and chipset limitations.

To further help you out, you should search for and read the optiplex gx280 upgrade thread here in the CPU forum. There seams to be a limitation to the fastest P4 supported in the gx280, and I wouldn't be surprised if the 8400 carried similar if not the same CPU restrictions in the BIOS.

stuporman

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2009
I can tell you exactly what happens if you put a dual core in a Dell 8400, because I did this some time ago thinking that is the socket was compatable then everything should be OK.
Instaling the new chip (an E5200) was no problem at all. However, when I switched the PC on the rear took off like an aeroplane, and I detected the unwelcome smell of something burning. Whn I took the new chip out one of the pins was clearly burnt. I put the old chip and everything was back to normal. I think it was the BIOS not being set up to for any chips newer than a Prescott, and so it put too higher voltage through the new chip.
All part of my ongoing learning curve!

williamd

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
I also had the rude awakening of purchasing a brand new Hitachi 1TB drive and a 64-bit Windows7 (to replace XP) to find out my Dimension 8400 with 3.2GHz 540 CPU is not 64-bit compatible! Is it worth just finding someone to take my Windows7 64-bit off my hands and getting the 32-bit version (i.e. how much difference performance for average productivity applications), or should I try to get a new box, motherboard, CPU, so as not to waste my investment (I upgraded to 4GB RAM a few months ago)? I have been a dedicated Dell customer for the past few machines, before that HP, never thought about building my own box before. Is there really no CPUs that I can plug into the Dimension 8400 to get a significant improvement over my current configuration?

G

You should have use the windows 7 upgrade advisor before wasting some benjamins on new 64 bit OS. I also have a dell dimension 8400 p4 3.4 gigahertz which is pretty fast 5 years ago. After years of using and abusing it, I upgraded the ram to 4 gig, the videocard to 750 mb geforce overclock, putting additional harddrive of 750 GB, the pc did well even without touching the powersource. I did not upgrade the processor for compatability issues. Then vista came out but after using it for 5 days, im still in love with my xp . So I drop vista and made love to xp again until another pretty lady came , the windows 7. After too much hype of the new OS, I decided to give it a try. I did and "upgrade" installation but it slowed my pc more than a little bit to be comfortable. After soul searching and googling the internet for the remedy of my broken heart, I found out that the upgrade disc Bill Gates sent me can be used to clean install the operating system. That is to say that "why rebuilt a car when you can have a brand new one". Now im in love with my pc the third time around. I learned that a pc after so many years of abuse can only take enough steroids. It is better to buy a new one than build from scratch due to warranty issues.

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006

If you can find a 6x0 series pentium 4, I think it should support 64 bit. Not sure if the bios will enable it or not. Might want to check with the Dell owners support forums on the dell website. A google search of Dell 8400 and 64 bit might bring up something.

MirEgal

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
You should have use the windows 7 upgrade advisor before wasting some benjamins on new 64 bit OS. I also have a dell dimension 8400 p4 3.4 gigahertz which is pretty fast 5 years ago. After years of using and abusing it, I upgraded the ram to 4 gig, the videocard to 750 mb geforce overclock, putting additional harddrive of 750 GB, the pc did well even without touching the powersource. I did not upgrade the processor for compatability issues. Then vista came out but after using it for 5 days, im still in love with my xp . So I drop vista and made love to xp again until another pretty lady came , the windows 7. After too much hype of the new OS, I decided to give it a try. I did and "upgrade" installation but it slowed my pc more than a little bit to be comfortable. After soul searching and googling the internet for the remedy of my broken heart, I found out that the upgrade disc Bill Gates sent me can be used to clean install the operating system. That is to say that "why rebuilt a car when you can have a brand new one". Now im in love with my pc the third time around. I learned that a pc after so many years of abuse can only take enough steroids. It is better to buy a new one than build from scratch due to warranty issues.

I also have a Dell 8400 which i would also like to get a few more years out of. I want to make sure I understand what you are saying....that a clean install of Windows 7 (rather than an upgrade) on the 8400 does work? My 8400 is running real slow and my choices are either do a clean reinstall of XP or upgrade to Windows 7. If i'm going to put in the effort of a clean install, I would rather upgrade and take advantage of some new features. Thanks.

rpi86

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010

I have an 8400 which I just clean installed windows 7 and it is lightning fast. 4GB of RAM made a difference as did a new teraby HD... I am running the 3.0 GHZ P4 with HT.

tlid21

Distinguished
May 23, 2010
I have just had 32 bit Windows 7 professional 'clean' installed on my 8400. Everything works ok and there is no apparent difference in overall perforfance. However, whenever it goes into sleep mode, if eventually shuts down of its own accord. As yet I haven't been able to establish how long it is before it shuts down. Nothing will wake it up - only restarting from scratch which brings up a Windows closed improperly screen. Have checked all settings (of which I am aware!) and searched the web for an answer but no luck. Can anyone help - or this just confirmation that the 8400 will not run Windows 7 successfully?

Userremoved

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010

Start a thread for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS