[SOLVED] Dell dimension e520 cpu upgrade

Allyboi

Prominent
Jun 30, 2020
Hi guys! I am super new to pc upgrading and am wondering what cpu can replace my current cpu which is a pentium d 945.
My system specs from what my friend says are:
Cpu-pentium d 945
Gpu-non, soon to be r7 240 gddr5
Ram- 2 512mb ram, soon to be 4gb
Psu-stock
Side note my bios version is 2.3.2
And i cant upgrade it to 2.4.0 for some reason.
Im hoping to use my pc for lowend gaming
Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Solution
Try updating the bios from DOS or a direct boot disk/cd. Otherwise, you should still be able to use a faster core cpu depending on what is supported.
Hi guys! I am super new to pc upgrading and am wondering what cpu can replace my current cpu which is a pentium d 945.
My system specs from what my friend says are:
Cpu-pentium d 945
Gpu-non, soon to be r7 240 gddr5
Ram- 2 512mb ram, soon to be 4gb
Psu-stock
Side note my bios version is 2.3.2
And i cant upgrade it to 2.4.0 for some reason.
Im hoping to use my pc for lowend gaming
Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
There isn't anything in that box that can be upgraded without replacing everything. The CPU can only go up to the Pentium D 960, but that won't make any difference now of days.

Allyboi

Prominent
Jun 30, 2020
There isn't anything in that box that can be upgraded without replacing everything. The CPU can only go up to the Pentium D 960, but that won't make any difference now of days.
Hi jeremy thanks for the reply but i know the dell dimension e520 supports a q6600/q6700 in bios 2.4.0?
Thanks mate!

Hi jeremy thanks for the reply but i know the dell dimension e520 supports a q6600/q6700 in bios 2.4.0?
Thanks mate!
Ah. Updating a BIOS in a prebuilt can be a pain if their software doesn't work. Are you able to try downloading the BIOS update and doing it inside the BIOS itself? All that said it still isn't worth while to upgrade that system. Even the cheap Athlon 200GE is going to be faster than any Core 2 CPU in single threaded applications and possibly faster than any Core 2 Quad in any multi-threaded application.

Allyboi

Prominent
Jun 30, 2020
Ah. Updating a BIOS in a prebuilt can be a pain if their software doesn't work. Are you able to try downloading the BIOS update and doing it inside the BIOS itself? All that said it still isn't worth while to upgrade that system. Even the cheap Athlon 200GE is going to be faster than any Core 2 CPU in single threaded applications and possibly faster than any Core 2 Quad in any multi-threaded application.
Yeah man i know it sounds dumb to upgrade it but it was a gift from my dad and i want to try and keep it running.
I tried updating the bios but it says disk I/O ERROR i tried running it in safe mode and it wont work.
As of now im at bios 2.3.2 .
Thanks for your help again jeremy,sincerely.

Allyboi

Prominent
Jun 30, 2020
Try updating the bios from DOS or a direct boot disk/cd. Otherwise, you should still be able to use a faster core cpu depending on what is supported.
Oh i see! Thanks man, im planning on replacing my pentium d with a c2d e6700 just hope i can do it without updating bios.
Thanks for answering!