Question Dell Dimension E521 + GeForce GT 710 with Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 8, 2021
This is for my old Dell Dimension E521 with GeForce GT 710 GPU.

It has:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ CPU (64-bit)
Dell 0UW457 Motherboard

Versions of Windows 10 up to 1909 did run smooth, but with 2004 and 20H2 I have the exactly same issues as described here: Windows 10 Unable to Boot on Dell Dimension E521:
During boot up, the screen comes up with all the images and text glitchy and pixelated. Windows won’t boot up and goes into Diagnostic Mode and eventually Blue Screen of Death.

After trying Win 10 2004 and 20H2 I downgraded back to 1909 which works fine, but as this version runs out of support in May 2021 for normal users I'd like to ask you if somebody has a possible solution for this? :unsure:

This is for my old Dell Dimension E521 with GeForce GT 710 GPU.

It has:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ CPU (64-bit)
Dell 0UW457 Motherboard

Versions of Windows 10 up to 1909 did run smooth, but with 2004 and 20H2 I have the exactly same issues as described here: Windows 10 Unable to Boot on Dell Dimension E521:
During boot up, the screen comes up with all the images and text glitchy and pixelated. Windows won’t boot up and goes into Diagnostic Mode and eventually Blue Screen of Death.

After trying Win 10 2004 and 20H2 I downgraded back to 1909 which works fine, but as this version runs out of support in May 2021 for normal users I'd like to ask you if somebody has a possible solution for this? :unsure:

It sounds like the issue is related to the graphics card (as does the linked thread) - looks like MS is using a feature newer than the GPU supports in the latest build.

There is some useful info for the GT710 here:
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-gt-710.c1990

Reading through that, the card technically 'supports' DX12, but then states it only has 'feature level 11_0' so essentially it only really supports DX11 functions. I guess if Windows is using a newer unsupported feature that would cause the issue. An easy way to test if this is the problem is to try the 2004 build again in safe mode, and remove the graphics driver. If the machine works using the generic drivers then I'd suggest it's a conflict between the gpu and something Windows is doing. If that is the case you could look at getting something a bit more (edit as in a new GPU) to keep the machine going. Good options would be cards like the Geforce 1030, or an AMD RX 550 card.

That said, given the age of the machine you would potentially be better looking at a second hand complete machine, as you'd probably get hold of a whole system for the price of a new gpu if you shop around (machines based around say a Sandy Bridge 2XXX or Ivy Bridge 3XXX Core i5 / 7, or AMD FX 6000 / 8000 series cpu can be had for very little these days, whilst your old Athlon 64 X2 might sell well as a 'retro gaming PC', especially if you have an old copy of Windows XP you could stick on it).

Apr 14, 2021
i had the same issue with E521. I solved reinstalling win10 after removing the additional graphic card and using only the GPU integrated in the MB

Aug 15, 2021
Same issue here. Dell Dimension E521 with GeForce GT 1030 GPU.

I managed to avoid the glitchy text and pixelated graphics if I waited until after the BIOS passes the POST process to plug my HDMI cable into the computer (or monitor). I am now using an HDMI switcher that allows me to simulate this process whenever I need to restart the computer.

I was able to use Windows 10 version 2004, 20H2 and I am now running 21H1.

Status
Not open for further replies.